NFL notebook: Patriots trade for cornerback Talib
• In San Diego, Antonio Gates caught a 14-yard yard scoring pass from Philip Rivers on the game's opening drive to snap a streak of six straight quarters without a touchdown, and the Chargers went on to a 31-13 victory over the staggering Chiefs on Thursday night.
• The New England Patriots obtained cornerbackAqib Talib for their shaky secondary from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Talib will be eligible to play in the Patriots' next game on Nov. 11 after serving a four-game NFL suspension without pay for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances. The Patriots acquired the former first-round draft pick and a seventh-rounder next year for their fourth-round choice in 2013.
• The NFL and the players' union are combining to donate $1 million to the American Red Cross to help in the recovery efforts in the Northeast after Hurricane Sandy.
• The Olympic Stadium is in need of a tenant, and London mayor Boris Johnson thinks the NFL could be the right match. Just a few days after the NFL's sixth regular-season game at Wembley Stadium, Johnson said he has spoken with the league about playing more games in the British capital.
• Green Bay Packers wide receiverGreg Jennings had surgery to repair the torn abdominal muscle that has sidelined him for much of the season. No return date has been given, though Packers coach Mike McCarthy said it would probably be a minimum of a few weeks.
• Nursing a leg injury, rookie Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill took snaps with the first team and threw on the run. But for the second consecutive day he practiced wearing a brace and thigh-to-ankle sleeve on his left leg.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- McCullers’, McLendon’s prowess in clogging trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp
- Inside the Steelers: QB Jones continues to get majority of snaps
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- Steelers notebook: Officials discuss new game ball procedures
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel