NFL notebook: Tight end Beckum will play for Giants versus Steelers
By The Associated Press
Published: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 7:36 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, November 4, 2012
The New York Giants activated tight end Travis Beckum, making him eligible to play when they host the Steelers on Sunday.
The fourth-year pro tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during the Giants' win over New England in Super Bowl XLVI.
He was placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list and missed all of training camp before returning to the practice field Oct. 24.
A third-round draft choice in 2009, Beckum has played in 44 regular-season games. He has 26 receptions for 264 yards and three touchdowns.
To make room on their roster, the Giants waived offensive lineman Mitch Petrus.
A third-year pro, Petrus was waived by the Giants on Sept. 1 but was re-signed the following day.
He's played in three games this season, primarily on special teams. He was inactive for two other games.
Eagles DE activated
Eagles defensive tackle Mike Patterson was activated off the reserve/non-football illness list and is ready to play for the first time this season.
Patterson is eligible for Monday night's game at New Orleans (2-5). Patterson said he's “really anxious” to return to the field and expects to play only a few snaps as he eases his way back into the lineup.
He suffered a seizure at practice Aug. 3, 2011, and was diagnosed with a brain AVM, or arteriovenous malformation, a prenatal condition in which blood travels abnormally between the arteries and veins.
The Eagles (3-4) released linebacker Jason Williams to make room on the 53-man roster.
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Robinson: 10 Steelers storylines to keep tabs on
- Steelers defensive lineman Keisel hosts kids for day of fishing
- Rookie running back Bell vows to protect Big Ben
- Miller believes tight end position in good hands
- Steelers’ makeover taking shape
- Steelers breaking in top pick Jones slowly
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger throws; 4th-round pick Jones signs
- Steelers notebook: Training camp starts on July 26
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger downplays knee surgery
- Steelers notebook: LeBeau still going strong
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.