NFL notebook: 49ers plan to pile up home victories
Mike Singletary followed up the 49ers' 2008 home loss to the Seattle Seahawks with an epic “I want winners” rant. Since then, the 49ers have won 11 straight NFC West home games.
The St. Louis Rams visit Candlestick Park on Sunday, and, yes, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh wants winners, too.
“At the end of the year, those are huge in determining who wins the division,” Harbaugh said Friday.
The 49ers have shut out the Rams in two of their past three visits, including last season's 26-0 rout that clinched the NFC West for the 49ers with four regular-season games remaining. Although the 49ers won, 35-0, in 2009, the Rams battled to a 23-20 overtime loss in 2010.
During the stretch of 11 straight division wins at home, the 49ers' defense has allowed only 11 touchdowns, and only two of the rushing variety. A Seahawks kickoff return accounts for the only other touchdown allowed.
Raiders make moves
The Raiders activated cornerback Ron Bartell from short-term injured reserve and promoted running back Jeremy Stewart from the practice squad.
To make room on the 53-man roster the Raiders waived cornerback Pat Lee on Saturday and placed cornerback Shawntae Spencer (Woodland Hills/Pitt) on season-ending injured reserve.
Coach's young son dies
The 4-year-old son of Raiders defensive line coach Terrell Williams has died. The team said Tyson Williams died Friday at Oakland Children's Hospital, days after celebrating his birthday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- NFL Draft preview: QB crop thin after top 2
- Baylor’s Petty trying to buck stereotype
- NFL Draft preview: Safety crop offers no sure-fire stars
- Safety Collins seeks to buck Alabama DB trend
- Miami linebacker Perryman eager to stand tall on draft day
- Steelers open daunting season at Patriots, play 5 prime-time games
- Steelers wrap up pre-draft visits with four defensive players
- NFL Draft preview: Running back class is deep, talented
- Wisconsin’s Gordon flashes ahead of the pack
- Steelers legend Blount to announce team’s second-round draft pick