NFL notebook: Holmgren denies interest in Cowboys coaching position
• Outgoing Browns president Mike Holmgren still hasn't decided if he wants to coach again. Hoping to squelch a weekend report that he would be interested in a coaching job with the Cowboys if Jason Garrett gets fired, Holmgren said “I haven't talked to a single soul” in Dallas.
• Eagles coach Andy Reid said Michael Vick suffered a “pretty significant” concussion and told the quarterback to stay home Monday. Reid said he wouldn't rule out Vick for Sunday's game at Washington.
• 49ers quarterback Alex Smith threw a touchdown pass in the second quarter of Sunday's 24-24 tie against the Rams while playing with blurred vision before coming out with a concussion. Coach Jim Harbaugh said Monday that Smith connected with Michael Crabtree six plays after he began experiencing blurred vision on a 1-yard keeper early in the second quarter.
• Coach Lovie Smith said the Bears properly handled quarterback Jay Cutler's concussion Sunday night. Smith said trainers immediately examined Cutler after he took a helmet-to-helmet hit from Houston's Tim Dobbins during a 13-6 loss to the Texans.
• Bills coach Chan Gailey said running back Fred Jackson was diagnosed with a concussion and has been ruled out from playing against Miami on Thursday.
• The NFL said the 76-yard punt return by Denver's Trindon Holliday against Carolina on Sunday should have been ruled a touchback, not a touchdown. In the second quarter of Denver's 36-14 win, the Broncos' returner raced up the sidelines and appeared to score. Replays showed Holliday prematurely celebrating the TD by flipping the ball out of his hands before crossing the goal line.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Steelers mum on national report involving head of security
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Steelers sign punter Wing to 1-year extension
- NFL names sportsmanship award after Steelers founder
- Steelers’ Rooney says both teams should use same footballs
- Steelers’ Polamalu ponders murky future after team’s playoff loss
- Steelers’ unrestricted free agent Moats proves worth at linebacker
- Steelers sign CFL defensive end Lemon