NFL notebook: Holmgren denies interest in Cowboys coaching position
• Outgoing Browns president Mike Holmgren still hasn't decided if he wants to coach again. Hoping to squelch a weekend report that he would be interested in a coaching job with the Cowboys if Jason Garrett gets fired, Holmgren said “I haven't talked to a single soul” in Dallas.
• Eagles coach Andy Reid said Michael Vick suffered a “pretty significant” concussion and told the quarterback to stay home Monday. Reid said he wouldn't rule out Vick for Sunday's game at Washington.
• 49ers quarterback Alex Smith threw a touchdown pass in the second quarter of Sunday's 24-24 tie against the Rams while playing with blurred vision before coming out with a concussion. Coach Jim Harbaugh said Monday that Smith connected with Michael Crabtree six plays after he began experiencing blurred vision on a 1-yard keeper early in the second quarter.
• Coach Lovie Smith said the Bears properly handled quarterback Jay Cutler's concussion Sunday night. Smith said trainers immediately examined Cutler after he took a helmet-to-helmet hit from Houston's Tim Dobbins during a 13-6 loss to the Texans.
• Bills coach Chan Gailey said running back Fred Jackson was diagnosed with a concussion and has been ruled out from playing against Miami on Thursday.
• The NFL said the 76-yard punt return by Denver's Trindon Holliday against Carolina on Sunday should have been ruled a touchback, not a touchdown. In the second quarter of Denver's 36-14 win, the Broncos' returner raced up the sidelines and appeared to score. Replays showed Holliday prematurely celebrating the TD by flipping the ball out of his hands before crossing the goal line.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Chiefs game-plan play that suits speedy rookie Thomas’ talents
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Steelers hold off the Falcons to keep moving in AFC North chase
- Injury-thinned Steelers linebackers corps stands tall in win over Falcons
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin unaware of mumps outbreak in NHL