NFL notebook: Hall of Famer Ditka has minor stroke
• Former Bears coach and Hall of Fame player Mike Ditka was hospitalized Friday after suffering what he said doctors told him was a “very minor stroke.” Contacted Friday evening, Ditka said, “I feel good right now and it's not a big deal.” Ditka, an Aliquippa native and former Pitt All-American, was at a country club playing cards Friday when he noticed his hands “weren't working quite right,” and then he had a problem speaking. Ditka, 73, has not had any major health problems in recent years. In 1988 while coaching the Bears, he suffered a heart attack. He was back at work within a week.
• The Chicago Bears say quarterback Jay Cutler will miss Monday's game at San Francisco because of a concussion. Jason Campbell is expected to start against the 49ers in his place.
• Eagles quarterback Michael Vick will miss Sunday's game vs. the Washington Redskins due to the effects of a concussion. Rookie Nick Foles will get his first NFL start. Redskins receiver Pierre Garcon and safety Brandon Meriweather appear set to play.
• Jacksonville defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, Kansas City linebacker Tamba Hali and New England LB Brandon Spikes were fined $25,000 each by the NFL on Friday for hits in recent games. Hali was docked for striking Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich with his helmet.
• Referee Tony Corrente has been fined one game check by the NFL for uttering obscenities with his microphone on during a Nov. 4 game in Indianapolis between the Colts and Dolphins. Corrente earns approximately $9,000 a game.
• Injured Dallas running back DeMarco Murray is unlikely to return from a four-game absence Sunday against Cleveland.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Team seek ease on West Coast travel
- Tomlin expects Steelers offense to grow
- Steelers notebook: Harrison return complicated by LeBeau, Titans
- Tomlin eyes Steelers’ return to defensive success this season
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell could move to replace Polamalu
- Steelers notebook: Cornerback need will wait until draft
- Harrison writes he is deciding between signing with Steelers or Titans
- Steelers re-sign LB Harrison to 2-year deal
- Free agent LB Worilds surprises with announcement of retirement
- Ex-Steeler Worilds makes ‘faith-based’ decision to move on from football