NFL notebook: Vilma, Smith attended coach's Bountygate hearing
New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith and linebacker Jonathan Vilma attended former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' appeals hearing in the bounties case.
Williams was cross-examined by the players' lawyers for about four hours.
Smith described the hearing as “peaceful” and “not awkward.”
Vilma said it was the first time he had seen Williams since the end of last season.
“We got to hear what Gregg had to say,” Smith said. “We wanted to make sure we were there just to hear him out.”
Bettis, Greene make Hall semis
First-time candidates John Lynch, Michael Strahan and Jonathan Ogden were among 27 semifinalists for the Hall of Fame's 2013 class.
Also among those making the cut were former Steelers Jerome Bettis and Kevin Greene.
Ravens LB Lewis eyes Dec. 16 return
Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis (triceps) is excepted to return for a Dec. 16 game against the Denver Broncos, ESPN reported.
Lewis, on the injured reserve/designated to return list, is eligible to return to the lineup that day.
Eagles QB Vick, RB McCoy out
Quarterback Michael Vick and running back LeSean McCoy have been ruled out when the struggling Eagles visit the Cowboys on Sunday night. Both are still sidelined by concussions.
Meanwhile, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said it “looks like” injured running back DeMarco Murray will end a six-game absence Sunday.
49ers' Dobbs arrested, won't travel
San Francisco 49ers defensive end Demarcus Dobbs was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and possession of marijuana. The team said Dobbs wouldn't travel to play at the St. Louis Rams on Sunday.
Raiders, Bengals players fined
Cincinnati tackle Andrew Whitworth and Oakland defensive linemen Desmond Bryant, Lamarr Houston, Tommy Kelly and Matt Shaughnessy were fined $26,250 each for fighting in last Sunday's game.
Ex-Texans pick sentenced to life
A former NFL player has been sentenced to life in prison for a series of home-invasion robberies and a sexual assault in Sacramento.
Keith Jerome Wright, 32, a former defensive lineman at the University of Missouri, saw little playing time in the NFL after being selected in the sixth round by the Houston Texans in 2003. He also was with the Indianapolis Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions.
Raiders bench LB McClain 2 games
The Oakland Raiders suspended linebacker Rolando McClain for two games for conduct detrimental to the team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger remains in concussion protocol
- Film session: Long shots dotted Steelers’ passing game
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- Steelers receiver Wheaton takes advantage of opportunity in breakout game
- Steelers notebook: Bryant confident in backup Jones if Big Ben can’t play
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Run game needed for balance vs. Seahawks
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman