Steelers notebook: Batch's winning performance belies his age
• Charlie Batch became the oldest Steelers quarterback to start and win a game when he beat the Ravens, 23-20, on Sunday, three days shy of his 38th birthday. Mike Tomczak was 37 years and 64 days old when the Steelers beat Carolina, 30-20, on Dec. 26, 1999. Batch, Tomczak and Ed Brown (1965) are the only Steelers quarterbacks to play past their 37th birthday.
• Batch might have to play another week. Ben Roethlisberger wasn't close to being game-ready at the end of last week while recovering from an SC joint sprain and a dislocated rib and fracture. Roethlisberger continues to experience discomfort, and he has been unable to throw with any velocity.
• The Steelers need two more wins to become the first AFC team to win 600 games. The only teams ahead of them on the NFL's wins chart are the Bears (736), Packers (715) and Giants (676), all of which are older franchises.
• The Steelers pretty much know their 2013 schedule. They will play the Ravens, Bengals and Browns home and away, plus the Bills, Dolphins, Bears, Lions and an AFC South team — almost certainly the Colts — at home. They'll go on the road to play the Patriots, Jets, Packers and Vikings (in London) plus another AFC West opponent, likely the Chargers.
• Ryan Clark is the Steelers' nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award, which recognizes a player's off-field community service and playing excellence. Clark and his wife, Yonka, created Ryan Clark's Cure League, which raises money for Sickle Cell research and clinical care. He also is active in a number of local charities plus the Play 60 program, which encourages youngsters to be physically active for at least an hour per day.
— Alan Robinson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Team seek ease on West Coast travel
- Steelers notebook: Harrison return complicated by LeBeau, Titans
- Tomlin expects Steelers offense to grow
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell could move to replace Polamalu
- Rooney not expecting much more out of free agency for Steelers
- Tomlin eyes Steelers’ return to defensive success this season
- Steelers notebook: Cornerback need will wait until draft
- Steelers notebook: Haley sees role for Archer
- Harrison writes he is deciding between signing with Steelers or Titans
- Steelers re-sign LB Harrison to 2-year deal