Steelers-Chargers matchup: Steelers RT Beachum vs. Chargers OLB Phillips
sTEELERS RT KELVIN BEACHUMvs. CHARGERS OLB SHAUN PHILLIPS
MATCHUP: Kelvin Beachum was successful in his first career start last week replacing the injured Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams, but Shaun Phillips (No. 95 above) should provide more of a challenge for the rookie right tackle. The veteran Phillips is putting together one of his best seasons when it comes to stopping the run and pressuring the quarterback. If last week is any indication, Beachum won't get much help against Phillips.
BEACHUM: He was a pleasant surprise a week ago against the Ravens even if he was credited with allowing a pair of sacks (one of which quarterback Charlie Batch held the ball for six seconds). Beachum wasn't overwhelmed by Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata or Paul Kruger in the passing game and looked good run blocking. Beachum played in only 27 career snaps before last week.
PHILLIPS: He leads the Chargers with seven sacks, 16 quarterback hurries and nine quarterback hits. Phillips has been healthy this year — he missed four games last season with a foot injury — and it has shown. Phillips collects most of his sacks because of his speed and will try to exploit that with Beachum. Phillips has 67 career sacks, which ties him for second in team history.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role
- Steelers’ Brown: Attendance ‘never a doubt’ for offseason workouts
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Steelers interested in playing internationally again
- Starkey: Clayton, Steelers and ‘Shouldergate’
- Steelers’ Heyward looking to stay for long haul