Steelers-Chargers matchup: Steelers RT Beachum vs. Chargers OLB Phillips
sTEELERS RT KELVIN BEACHUMvs. CHARGERS OLB SHAUN PHILLIPS
MATCHUP: Kelvin Beachum was successful in his first career start last week replacing the injured Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams, but Shaun Phillips (No. 95 above) should provide more of a challenge for the rookie right tackle. The veteran Phillips is putting together one of his best seasons when it comes to stopping the run and pressuring the quarterback. If last week is any indication, Beachum won't get much help against Phillips.
BEACHUM: He was a pleasant surprise a week ago against the Ravens even if he was credited with allowing a pair of sacks (one of which quarterback Charlie Batch held the ball for six seconds). Beachum wasn't overwhelmed by Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata or Paul Kruger in the passing game and looked good run blocking. Beachum played in only 27 career snaps before last week.
PHILLIPS: He leads the Chargers with seven sacks, 16 quarterback hurries and nine quarterback hits. Phillips has been healthy this year — he missed four games last season with a foot injury — and it has shown. Phillips collects most of his sacks because of his speed and will try to exploit that with Beachum. Phillips has 67 career sacks, which ties him for second in team history.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers won’t change scheme after Pouncey injury
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin leaving `light on’ for injured players
- Steelers rookie receiver Coates learning on the fly
- Veteran quarterback Vick is vowing to make Steelers proud
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell injures left ankle in practice
- Crowd sparse to protest Vick at Steelers’ facility
- Dog-loving fans irate about Vick signing with Steelers
- Steelers ink QB Vick, new teammates OK with signing
- Steelers notebook: Legursky returns to provide offensive line depth
- Steelers safety Thomas excels despite anxiety of replacing Polamalu