Steelers notebook: DeCastro benefits from rule change
Steelers right guard David DeCastro is one of the first beneficiaries of the new NFL rule that allows a designated player on injured reserve to return and play during that season; previously, any player on IR was out for the season.
“We didn't know for sure whether we'd be able to get him back or not,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said of DeCastro, who tore a medial collateral ligament and dislocated his right kneecap during an Aug. 25 preseason game. “It was a testament to him and the trainers for the hard work that he put in for a chunk of the season. To even get in a position to get out on the field I think is terrific.”
DeCastro will make his first NFL start Sunday in Dallas alongside rookie right tackle Kelvin Beachum on one of the most inexperienced offensive lines the Steelers have fielded for a late-season game.
“He's a hard-working, nose-to-the-grindstone type of kid that you don't hear much out of, and he got his opportunity to play,” Haley said of Beachum. “He'll be facing the ultimate test this week. These guys rushing outside in Dallas are the real deal.”
Cowboys outside linebacker Anthony Spencer (8 1⁄2 sacks) will primarily go against Beachum.
The Steelers (7-6) can make the playoffs if they lose to the Cowboys — next week's game against the Bengals becomes the proverbial must-win game — but wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders said they need to start building momentum.
“A loss won't take us completely out of the playoff picture,” he said. “I wouldn't name it as a must-win, but we know we have to handle our business. It's the month of December, and always in the month of December you have to win.”
An historical marker located where Franco Harris made his Immaculate Reception against the Raiders 40 years ago at now-demolished Three Rivers Stadium will be unveiled at 4:15 p.m. Saturday. Harris will take part in the ceremony at the Stage AE complex on the North Side. A four-hour Immaculate Reception celebration at Stage AE starting at 6 p.m. is free to the public and will include the taping of a KDKA-TV special about the play.
Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Steelers mum on national report involving head of security
- Steelers’ Rooney ‘not expecting a problem’ with new Big Ben deal
- Steelers sign punter Wing to 1-year extension
- NFL names sportsmanship award after Steelers founder
- Steelers sign CFL defensive end Lemon
- Steelers’ Rooney says both teams should use same footballs
- Steelers injured running back Bell won’t be in uniform for Pro Bowl
- Steelers LBs Jones, Shazier vow to grow from tough seasons
- Seven questions facing Steelers in quest for seventh Super Bowl title
- Steelers’ unrestricted free agent Moats proves worth at linebacker