Steelers notebook: TE Spaeth appears set to rejoin club
By Mark Kaboly
Published: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 5:27 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, March 17, 2013
The Steelers hosted Chicago tight end Kellen Davis on Friday but have decided on another Bears free agent tight end instead: Matt Spaeth.
Spaeth, a Steelers' third-round pick in 2007, appears set to rejoin the organization if he passes a physical Monday.
“I'm so lucky/blessed/happy to be rejoining #steelenation,” Spaeth wrote on his Twitter page.
The Steelers were in the market for a tight end with Heath Miller's availability at the start of the season still unknown because of December knee surgery.
The only other tight ends on the Steelers roster are David Johnson (coming off August knee surgery) and second-year man David Paulson.
Spaeth (6-foot-7, 260 pounds) is considered one of the best blocking tight ends in the league but doesn't provide much in the passing game. Spaeth caught 39 passes during his four years with the Steelers and 13 the past two years with the Bears.
Spaeth, 29, has eight career touchdown catches.
He was released a day after the Bears signed free agent tight end Martellus Bennett.
Sanders denies signing offer sheet
Steelers restricted free agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders on Saturday refuted reports that he had signed an offer sheet by the New England Patriots.
“I have NOT been offered anything. Balls out of my court. All I can do is continue to grind and trust the man above. He has the plan for me...,” Sanders wrote on his official Facebook page. “If they do offer then I will have a HUGE decision to make. But that's not the case right now. The Pats are interested and it's just that at this point.”
Sanders visited New England on Friday.
If the Patriots offer and Sanders signs, the Steelers have five days to match and retain him. If the Steelers choose not to match the offer, the Steelers would be awarded New England's third-round pick in April's draft.
Mark Kaboly is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @MarkKaboly_Trib.
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Steelers ink fourth-round pick Thomas to 4-year deal
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.