Steelers name Kreidler college scouting coordinator
Phil Kreidler is the new college scouting coordinator for the Steelers, succeeding Ron Hughes in the latest move involving the team's player personnel department.
Dave Petett was promoted from college scout to pro/college scout and former Steelers tight end Mark Bruener was hired as a college scout.
Dan Colbert, the son of general manager Kevin Colbert, is a new full-time college/pro scout, and Mike Butler is the team's new scout for the BLESTO scouting combine. Butler's father, Hall of Famer Jack Butler, ran BLESTO for more than 40 years.
Earlier this week, Hall of Fame player Joe Greene retired after serving for nine seasons as a special assistant to Kevin Colbert for pro and college scouting.
Kreidler, a former safety at Furman, spent 22 seasons as a Steelers scout.
Hughes will remain with the Steelers as a senior assistant for college scouting. He was the college scouting coordinator for 10 years following 17 years with the Lions. Hughes is a Charleroi High and California (Pa.) graduate who spent 14 seasons as a Pittsburgh area high school coach.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Robinson: Rooney retains North Side roots
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Play to watch: Colts, Luck like to confuse defenses
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben