Steelers notebook: Team holds rare practice at soggy Heinz Field
There was a surprise waiting several of the groups who toured Heinz Field on Thursday — a real live Steelers practice was taking place, something that never happens during the season. Part of the workout featured red-zone offense drills. Coach Mike Tomlin likes his team to work out once every spring in their home stadium. And, unlike some NFL coaches who automatically move practice indoors during rainy weather, Tomlin decided to practice outside on a wet day.
“Oftentimes in the fall and winter when we are working in our stadium (on game days), it is less than ideal weather conditions,” he said.
Tomlin didn't offer an update on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had right knee surgery Wednesday to alleviate discomfort. He won't practice again until training camp. “There's nothing new to add,” Tomlin said. “He's resting comfortably at home. We will get him in the building next week and proceed.”
• Thursday's ninth OTA session — a 10th was canceled Monday — wrapped up that portion of the Steelers' offseason work. They will have a three-day minicamp Tuesday through Thursday on the South Side before breaking for six weeks in advance of training camp.
• The Steelers placed cornerbackJustin King on the injured reserve list. The move ends his season. The former Gateway High player was a fourth-round pick out of Penn State by the Rams in 2008 and joined the Steelers late last season but didn't play. To replace King, they signed free agent cornerback Nigel Malone, who was first signed by the Colts as an undrafted rookie free agent from Kansas State this spring.
• A limited number of tickets for the Steelers' eight regular-season and two preseason home games will go on sale through Ticketmaster beginning 10 a.m. on June 15. Fans may buy up to four tickets, in any combination, for any home game. A majority of the tickets will be priced at $66 or $70. The Steelers have sold out every game for decades but set aside some individual game tickets for fans who do not have season tickets.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- McCullers’, McLendon’s prowess in clogging trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp
- Inside the Steelers: QB Jones continues to get majority of snaps
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills