Steelers notebook: Team holds rare practice at soggy Heinz Field
There was a surprise waiting several of the groups who toured Heinz Field on Thursday — a real live Steelers practice was taking place, something that never happens during the season. Part of the workout featured red-zone offense drills. Coach Mike Tomlin likes his team to work out once every spring in their home stadium. And, unlike some NFL coaches who automatically move practice indoors during rainy weather, Tomlin decided to practice outside on a wet day.
“Oftentimes in the fall and winter when we are working in our stadium (on game days), it is less than ideal weather conditions,” he said.
Tomlin didn't offer an update on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had right knee surgery Wednesday to alleviate discomfort. He won't practice again until training camp. “There's nothing new to add,” Tomlin said. “He's resting comfortably at home. We will get him in the building next week and proceed.”
• Thursday's ninth OTA session — a 10th was canceled Monday — wrapped up that portion of the Steelers' offseason work. They will have a three-day minicamp Tuesday through Thursday on the South Side before breaking for six weeks in advance of training camp.
• The Steelers placed cornerbackJustin King on the injured reserve list. The move ends his season. The former Gateway High player was a fourth-round pick out of Penn State by the Rams in 2008 and joined the Steelers late last season but didn't play. To replace King, they signed free agent cornerback Nigel Malone, who was first signed by the Colts as an undrafted rookie free agent from Kansas State this spring.
• A limited number of tickets for the Steelers' eight regular-season and two preseason home games will go on sale through Ticketmaster beginning 10 a.m. on June 15. Fans may buy up to four tickets, in any combination, for any home game. A majority of the tickets will be priced at $66 or $70. The Steelers have sold out every game for decades but set aside some individual game tickets for fans who do not have season tickets.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- Steelers notebook: Shazier practices, hopes to play Monday at Chargers
- New Steelers kicker Boswell ready for challenge at Heinz
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Nothing normal about Steelers’ standard as backups fill vital roles
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell shrugs off Ravens WR’s comments
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Steelers not afraid to bring heat with secondary