Photos spread of Steelers' Pouncey wearing 'Free Hernandez' hat
Photographs of Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey and his twin brother, Mike, wearing “Free Hernandez” hats Saturday night at a Miami nightclub began circulating on the Internet on Sunday.
The Pouncey brothers were teammates of former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez at Florida. Hernandez is charged with the first-degree murder of 27-year-old semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd on June 17.
A Steelers spokesman said the organization has no comment about the photos. But ESPN reported that a source told it that the Steelers plan to talk to Maurkice about the photos.
Mike plays for the Dolphins, and ESPN reported that another source told the news organization that Miami will have a similar talk with its center.
The Pouncey brothers were linked to Hernandez in a recent ESPN report about a 2007 shooting at a Florida nightclub. A police report confirmed the twins were with Hernandez at The Venue on the night of a shooting that left two men wounded.
The Pounceys were celebrating their soon-to-be 24th birthday Saturday at Club Cameo in Miami. The brothers' birthday is two days before the Steelers report to training camp July 26.
Hernandez, who also faces five weapon charges, is being held in a Massachusetts jail. He was denied bail and has pled not guilty to all charges.
The Patriots released Hernandez hours after he was arrested.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Despite fulfilling promise to mother, Steelers’ Tomlin not yet satisfied
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe