Tomlin on Twitter: 'Follow me!'
There will be plenty of tweets of the whistle from coach Mike Tomlin during training camp — and, unexpectedly, some tweets on the Internet, too.
Tomlin on Friday became only the fifth NFL coach with an active Twitter account (@CoachTomlin). His first post read: “Hello Twitter. Expect no BS from me. Just straight fire!” He later posted a picture of himself with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney.
While some NFL coaches discourage their players from posting their thoughts in a public forum — more than 70 of the current Steelers players already do — Tomlin chose to join them. He wouldn't say how often he intends to tweet.
Tomlin had more than 46,000 followers within hours.
“This should be exciting, me delving into the social media world,” Tomlin said. “We spend time talking to our guys about what to do and what not to do, and I thought it would be appropriate and timely to show them. We'll see if I can do it in a professional manner.”
He added, “My kids are getting to the point in their life where I need to educate myself about it largely, so I'm killing a couple of birds with the same stone. So follow me!”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers clinch playoff berth with win over Chiefs
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Banged-up Steelers can clinch with win over Chiefs
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Chiefs game-plan play that suits speedy rookie Thomas’ talents
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Falcons notebook: Penalty on final drive turns costly