Tomlin on Twitter: 'Follow me!'
There will be plenty of tweets of the whistle from coach Mike Tomlin during training camp — and, unexpectedly, some tweets on the Internet, too.
Tomlin on Friday became only the fifth NFL coach with an active Twitter account (@CoachTomlin). His first post read: “Hello Twitter. Expect no BS from me. Just straight fire!” He later posted a picture of himself with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney.
While some NFL coaches discourage their players from posting their thoughts in a public forum — more than 70 of the current Steelers players already do — Tomlin chose to join them. He wouldn't say how often he intends to tweet.
Tomlin had more than 46,000 followers within hours.
“This should be exciting, me delving into the social media world,” Tomlin said. “We spend time talking to our guys about what to do and what not to do, and I thought it would be appropriate and timely to show them. We'll see if I can do it in a professional manner.”
He added, “My kids are getting to the point in their life where I need to educate myself about it largely, so I'm killing a couple of birds with the same stone. So follow me!”
Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Texans coach O’Brien still cherishes time at Penn State
- Rossi: Steelers’ ‘march of mediocrity’ baffling
- Steelers notebook: WR Brown recalls Houston’s Watt as teammates at CMU