Tomlin on Twitter: 'Follow me!'
There will be plenty of tweets of the whistle from coach Mike Tomlin during training camp — and, unexpectedly, some tweets on the Internet, too.
Tomlin on Friday became only the fifth NFL coach with an active Twitter account (@CoachTomlin). His first post read: “Hello Twitter. Expect no BS from me. Just straight fire!” He later posted a picture of himself with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney.
While some NFL coaches discourage their players from posting their thoughts in a public forum — more than 70 of the current Steelers players already do — Tomlin chose to join them. He wouldn't say how often he intends to tweet.
Tomlin had more than 46,000 followers within hours.
“This should be exciting, me delving into the social media world,” Tomlin said. “We spend time talking to our guys about what to do and what not to do, and I thought it would be appropriate and timely to show them. We'll see if I can do it in a professional manner.”
He added, “My kids are getting to the point in their life where I need to educate myself about it largely, so I'm killing a couple of birds with the same stone. So follow me!”
Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Despite fulfilling promise to mother, Steelers’ Tomlin not yet satisfied
- Pounceys vow to defend themselves against nightclub allegations