Tomlin on Twitter: 'Follow me!'
There will be plenty of tweets of the whistle from coach Mike Tomlin during training camp — and, unexpectedly, some tweets on the Internet, too.
Tomlin on Friday became only the fifth NFL coach with an active Twitter account (@CoachTomlin). His first post read: “Hello Twitter. Expect no BS from me. Just straight fire!” He later posted a picture of himself with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney.
While some NFL coaches discourage their players from posting their thoughts in a public forum — more than 70 of the current Steelers players already do — Tomlin chose to join them. He wouldn't say how often he intends to tweet.
Tomlin had more than 46,000 followers within hours.
“This should be exciting, me delving into the social media world,” Tomlin said. “We spend time talking to our guys about what to do and what not to do, and I thought it would be appropriate and timely to show them. We'll see if I can do it in a professional manner.”
He added, “My kids are getting to the point in their life where I need to educate myself about it largely, so I'm killing a couple of birds with the same stone. So follow me!”
Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers opt for youth, speed while revamping roster
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- In last preseason game, a final audition for some Steelers
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Preseason valuable for Steelers’ offensive line
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb