Tomlin on Twitter: 'Follow me!'
There will be plenty of tweets of the whistle from coach Mike Tomlin during training camp — and, unexpectedly, some tweets on the Internet, too.
Tomlin on Friday became only the fifth NFL coach with an active Twitter account (@CoachTomlin). His first post read: “Hello Twitter. Expect no BS from me. Just straight fire!” He later posted a picture of himself with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney.
While some NFL coaches discourage their players from posting their thoughts in a public forum — more than 70 of the current Steelers players already do — Tomlin chose to join them. He wouldn't say how often he intends to tweet.
Tomlin had more than 46,000 followers within hours.
“This should be exciting, me delving into the social media world,” Tomlin said. “We spend time talking to our guys about what to do and what not to do, and I thought it would be appropriate and timely to show them. We'll see if I can do it in a professional manner.”
He added, “My kids are getting to the point in their life where I need to educate myself about it largely, so I'm killing a couple of birds with the same stone. So follow me!”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Inside the Steelers: Ventrone suffers right ankle injury
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense
- IOC urges US to come up with another bid city for 2024 Games
- Steelers notebook: Backup QB Gradkowski remains out with shoulder issue
- Steelers tackle Beachum braces for competition along offensive line
- Steelers’ Brown arrives in style, vows to be ‘the best in the world’
- Steelers notebook: Rookie CB Golson still dealing with left shoulder pain
- Rossi: St. Vincent a football sanctuary during Steelers training camp
- Steelers RB Bell ready despite being in limbo
- Butler, Steelers defense take on new challenges