Inside The Ropes: Hall of Famer Woodson tutors young cornerbacks
• Former Steelers cornerback Rod Woodson spent time tutoring young cornerbacks Curtis Brown and Josh Victorian on the art of man coverage during Monday's practice. Brown took in Woodson's knowledge, then worked over Plaxico Burress and Emmanuel Sanders. “Anytime you get a guy like Rod to help out in training camp is great,” said defensive backs coach Carnell Lake. “He reinforces what I'm telling them. I've always told my guys if you catch the ones thrown to you, we would have done real well.”
• Running back Baron Batch has been dubbed “Angry Man” by teammates. His temper flared during the backs-on-backs drill when he got into a shoving match with linebacker Marshall McFadden.
• John Malecki is trying to make the active roster by becoming a more versatile lineman. Malecki looked comfortable during most blocking drills.
• Linebacker Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds are vying for the right outside linebacker job, and they were tested on the punt return team. Jones, though, looked more impressive rushing the passer. He swatted away a pass and used his quickness to get into the backfield.
• Cornerback Ike Taylor challenged wide receiver Antonio Brown the entire afternoon. Brown beat him on a post route, but Taylor recovered quickly for an interception.
• Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau wasn't overly thrilled with what he saw as the defense scrambled to figure out the right formation. LeBeau chastised the defense and implored them to “get it right the first time.”
• Rookie quarterback Landry Jones, a fourth-round pick from Oklahoma, had trouble connecting with receivers on the out routes. Some of his throws were consistently short or off the mark. However, he was largely on target in throws in the middle of the field during 7-on-7 passing drills.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Steelers release WR Lance Moore
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?
- Depth a concern for Steelers’ Colbert
- Steelers GM Colbert prepared to look at all options before draft
- Gorman: Steelers botch Big Ben’s negotiation
- Steelers’ Harrison announces desire to play one more year