Inside The Ropes: Hall of Famer Woodson tutors young cornerbacks
• Former Steelers cornerback Rod Woodson spent time tutoring young cornerbacks Curtis Brown and Josh Victorian on the art of man coverage during Monday's practice. Brown took in Woodson's knowledge, then worked over Plaxico Burress and Emmanuel Sanders. “Anytime you get a guy like Rod to help out in training camp is great,” said defensive backs coach Carnell Lake. “He reinforces what I'm telling them. I've always told my guys if you catch the ones thrown to you, we would have done real well.”
• Running back Baron Batch has been dubbed “Angry Man” by teammates. His temper flared during the backs-on-backs drill when he got into a shoving match with linebacker Marshall McFadden.
• John Malecki is trying to make the active roster by becoming a more versatile lineman. Malecki looked comfortable during most blocking drills.
• Linebacker Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds are vying for the right outside linebacker job, and they were tested on the punt return team. Jones, though, looked more impressive rushing the passer. He swatted away a pass and used his quickness to get into the backfield.
• Cornerback Ike Taylor challenged wide receiver Antonio Brown the entire afternoon. Brown beat him on a post route, but Taylor recovered quickly for an interception.
• Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau wasn't overly thrilled with what he saw as the defense scrambled to figure out the right formation. LeBeau chastised the defense and implored them to “get it right the first time.”
• Rookie quarterback Landry Jones, a fourth-round pick from Oklahoma, had trouble connecting with receivers on the out routes. Some of his throws were consistently short or off the mark. However, he was largely on target in throws in the middle of the field during 7-on-7 passing drills.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- Steelers running back eager to prove he can help bridge gap to Bell
- Steelers notebook: New kicker Scobee relishes opportunity
- Steelers trying to get missing defensive pieces on field
- Steelers’ Tomlin disappointed by Bryant suspension
- RB Williams believes he’s making seamless transition to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison believes Goodell will prevail in Brady ruling
- Steelers trade 6th-round pick for Jaguars kicker Scobee
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills