Steelers' Allen undergoes minor knee surgery
• Steelers cornerback Cortez Allen had minor surgery on his right knee Friday that will keep him off the field for at least a couple of weeks. “We wanted him to get the surgery done now so he can begin rehabilitating immediately,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “This surgery was a minor procedure and will have no long-term effects on his return to the field. We look forward to his rehabilitation process and having him back on the field in a couple of weeks.” Allen has missed the majority of the first week of training camp with the knee injury. Allen, in his third year out of The Citadel, made free agent Keenan Lewis expendable following last year. Allen (6-1, 197) was selected in the fourth round of the 2011 draft. He played in 15 games as a rookie mostly on special teams. Last year, Allen played in 15 games and started three and finished with 38 tackles, two interceptions and three forced fumbles while playing in the nickel package. Veteran William Gay will take over the starting cornerback position until Allen returns.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Team seek ease on West Coast travel
- Steelers notebook: Harrison return complicated by LeBeau, Titans
- Tomlin expects Steelers offense to grow
- Steelers re-sign LB Harrison to 2-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell could move to replace Polamalu
- Steelers notebook: Cornerback need will wait until draft
- Harrison writes he is deciding between signing with Steelers or Titans
- Tomlin eyes Steelers’ return to defensive success this season