Steelers RB Bell hurts knee in practice
Steelers rookie running back Le'Veon Bell reinjured his left knee during practice Thursday, and his status for the second preseason game Monday against Washington is uncertain.
Bell was pulling up as a running play ended during a noncontact drill when several defensive players took him to the ground. He did not appear to expect the contact.
He stayed down on the St. Vincent grass field for several minutes before getting up. He later was seen with a large ice pack on his left leg.
The Steelers finished practice without both of their co-No. 1 running backs. Isaac Redman sat out the end of practice with a pinched nerve.
After practice, coach Mike Tomlin said Bell was in the process of being evaluated.
Asked whether contact was permitted when Bell was hit, Tomlin said, “That was not a live period.”
The Steelers have increased the amount of contact work during training camp, in part because Tomlin believes the younger players need the exposure to live football due to the limited amount of practice time permitted under the NFL collective bargaining agreement.
Bell, a second-round draft pick from Michigan State, moved up to co-starter status this week despite sitting out the exhibition game against the Giants on Saturday with a bruised knee. He returned to practice Monday.
Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Inside the ropes: Speedy rookie Archer dazzles at 1st training camp practice
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin sees ‘good communication’ with WRs on 1st day
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’