Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger feels stronger
• With Le'Veon Bell (knee) and Isaac Redman (pinched nerve) less than 100 percent, the Steelers added running back Jeremy Wright, who ran for 1,485 yards in three seasons at Louisville. He initially signed with the New York Giants as an undrafted rookie. To make room for Wright on the 90-man roster, they cut kicker Danny Hrapmann, who was in camp for a second successive summer. They also reached an injury settlement with former Southern Cal running back Curtis McNeal, who was waived injured last week.
• Rookie outside linebacker Jarvis Jones practiced with the starters for the second time in three days. Jason Worilds got the majority of the snaps Thursday. There has been no hint when the Steelers might choose the season-opening starter at the position formerly manned by James Harrison. Jones said LaMarr Woodley is giving him considerable help as he tries to win the job. “He's always coaching me up on whether I did it good or bad,” Jones said. “He makes sure I'm in the right place to make plays.”
• Worilds was one of five players fined $15,750 by the NFL for various infractions during preseason games last weekend. Worilds was fined for a roughing the passer violation.
• A day after coach Mike Tomlin complained about three mishandled center-quarterback exchanges, rookie quarterback Landry Jones fumbled a snap late in practice.
• Ben Roethlisberger again offered reassurances that he and offensive coordinator Todd Haley get along well. “We have a great relationship, and I think it's going to show this year,” he said.
— Alan Robinson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?
- Steelers GM Colbert prepared to look at all options before draft
- Gorman: Steelers botch Big Ben’s negotiation
- Time running out for Steelers’ third-string quarterback Jones?
- Steelers release WR Lance Moore