Steelers rookie LB Jarvis Jones promoted
Rookie Jarvis Jones is moving up to co-starter status with Jason Worilds at outside linebacker.
The two rotated Sunday based on snap count, according to coach Mike Tomlin; Worilds played 46 snaps and Jones 30.
• Kicker Shaun Suisham's hamstring injury isn't believed to be serious, but Shayne Graham was added in case Suisham isn't ready by Monday.
• How much newly returned running back Jonathan Dwyer plays will depend, Tomlin said, on “his ability to get up to speed with the game plan. He's been away for a couple of weeks.” Dwyer ran for 122 yards as the Steelers won 24-17 in Cincinnati last season.
• Defensive captain Brett Keisel wants the cut block outlawed, and he is upset that Maurkice Pouncey's season ended with a knee injury caused by such a block — and from a teammate, David DeCastro. But Tomlin, a member of the NFL competition committee, wants it to stay. “I like the rule as it is,” Tomlin said. “I think the game is competitive. I'm not one to buy into wholesale changes. I like to proceed slowly ... look at the byproducts of rule changes and how it might affect the game.”
• TE Heath Miller (knee) is expected to return to team work this week, but it seems unlikely he could be ready Monday. Miller did only individual work last week, his first practice work since last season. “It's all about the swelling, how does he feel the day after,” QB Ben Roethlisberger said on his radio show. “He's the one who knows. If he's doing great and there's no swelling, he's going to do more.”
• ILB Lawrence Timmons will wear a helmet with a radio so he can communicate the play calls to the defense. The injured Larry Foote previously carried out those responsibilities. Kion Wilson, who replaces Foote, has played only one Steelers game and isn't nearly as familiar with the defense as Timmons.
• NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders is among those sharply criticizing Todd Haley's game plan for Tennessee. “I am concerned about their rushing attack [and] offensive coordinator Todd Haley. It seems as if every place he goes, this happens,” Sanders said. Tomlin said he is involved in the offensive, defensive and special teams game plans each week and doesn't hesitate to make in-game changes.
• OLB James Harrison is playing out of position in the 4-3 defense and had only one tackle in his Bengals debut, but Tomlin said, “We know his skill set, what he is capable of and his mindset in regards to playing football. We better be sharp in terms of how we deal with him.”
• CB Cortez Allen (ankle) probably won't practice Wednesday but will attempt to ramp up his work later in the week, Tomlin said. The Steelers have an extra day of practice Saturday because of the Monday night game.
• Roethlisberger marveled at how he and replacement center Kelvin Beachum didn't mishandle a snap after Maurkice Pouncey was injured in the first quarter Sunday. Roethlisberger said he and Beachum didn't exchange a snap in practice for at least two weeks as Beachum practiced at tight end. “People need to realize how difficult what he did was,” Roethlisberger said.
• Twenty players on the current Steelers 53-man roster didn't play for them last season.
Show commenting policy