Steelers notebook: Polamalu says believing not the same as doing
By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013, 8:42 p.m.
Troy Polamalu gave a candid answer when asked how many problems the Steelers have: “A lot.”
He also wouldn't sidestep the question of whether the Steelers can get out of their 0-2 hole, saying, “Time will tell.
“Of course I believe in this team, the guys that wear this uniform,” Polamalu said. “But believing it and going out and doing it may be two different things.”
Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Tomlin are experiencing their first 0-2 start with Pittsburgh. This is the first time the Steelers have been two games below .500 since Tomlin took over in 2007.
• Ryan Clark is equally realistic about the Steelers' play so far, saying, “If we don't play better, we won't win a game. It's not mystical, not about want-to or focus; it's about executing between the lines, playing your techniques, being good football players, doing what the coaches have taught us to do. We're not doing that right now. Sometimes even when we're doing it, the other team's doing it better.”
• Ben Roethlisberger loves to throw the deep pass, but he's not doing it well, going 2 of 13 (18.6 percent) for 53 yards on passes of 20 yards or longer. He is the 29th-ranked NFL quarterback by Pro Football Focus, one spot ahead of Jets rookie Geno Smith.
• The Steelers are throwing the ball on an unusually high 71.3 percent of their plays. Only four other teams (the Browns, Giants, Falcons and Redskins) are throwing at a higher rate. Of the five teams, only the Falcons (1-1) have won a game.
• Tight end Heath Miller will practice fully this week for the first time since tearing two knee ligaments last December. But coach Mike Tomlin isn't certain if he can play Sunday night against the Bears. “We're not expecting Heath to step out of a phone booth with a cape on,” Tomlin said.
• Tomlin declined to criticize referee Mike Carey's crew for the apparently incorrect tripping penalty on right tackle Marcus Gilbert that negated a 33-yard Roethlisberger-to-Antonio Brown completion in the third quarter. “It wasn't a trip, but the reality of it is those guys are going to miss calls or make incorrect calls,” Tomlin said. “We've got to be good enough to overcome it.”
• Asked what he plans to change now that he's off to his first 0-2 start as a head coach, Tomlin said, “Nothing.”
• Tomlin didn't offer an injury update on cornerback Cortez Allen, who sat out Monday with an ankle injury. But Tomlin is optimistic Allen can play Sunday.
• Kion Wilson and sixth-round draft pick Vince Williams split time at inside linebacker in place of the injured Larry Foote, and Tomlin said, “I like where they are. And I like where they are going.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Keisel might be at end of Steelers career
- Steelers create cap space by re-signing Polamalu, Miller
- 6 players the Steelers will be watching at NFL Combine
- Steelers’ Worilds signs transition tag
- Steelers use transition tag on LB Worilds