With typical flair, Ike Taylor breaks down language barriers in London
LONDON — Ike Taylor was in royal form in regaling the British press Friday morning shortly after the Steelers arrived at their team hotel.
To wit, some of his wit:
With the first question from a local reporter, Taylor replied, “Man, I love y'all accent.” After the room of about 75 media — mostly from European outlets — began to laugh, Taylor followed up: “Say that again?” The laughter grew.
To another question from a Brit, this one asking how frust-tray-ting 0-3 must be: “Excuse me? Your accent real thick. I like it.”
To another: “Man, y'all accent is killin' me. And I love it.”
On what he'll enjoy about the experience: “I'll tell you what: I would love to meet the queen. The head lady.”
On secondary mate Troy Polamalu: “Future Hall of Famer. Baby Jesus. Head and Shoulders. The guy's everywhere.”
On why American football is special: “I guess because we spell it different.” (We don't, of course. The Spanish for soccer, is futbol. The English is football.) Continuing unabated: “I am a fan of soccer. We are playing at a soccer stadium, right?” Well, yeah. Wembley is the world's most famous stadium for any sport.
On the difference between the two: “Y'all use your feet. We use our hands and our feet. I'm sure if y'all used your hands, there'd be a lot of penalties. But it's all good.”
By this point, the press was having a blast right back. A Danish reporter asked Taylor if he might pick up some London slang while here. Taylor retorted, “Y'all shoot me some slang words,” and back they came: Jiffy: “If I need something quick, I'm in a jiffy? OK.”
Lift: “So it's not an elevator? It's a lift. Liffffffft,” as if he'd never heard the word in another capacity.
Toilet: “I was in the airport. We call 'em restrooms. Y'all call 'em toilets.” A reporter barked out that he also could call it a “loo,” to which Taylor offered: “A loo? A jiffy loo! We have those in America. That's where you get your oil changed.”
Poor David DeCastro, a man of few words in the best of times, had to follow Taylor as the final player of the media availability.
Dejan Kovacevic is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Dejan_Kovacevic.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Play of the week: Texans find success with zone stretch running attack
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Steelers notebook: Shazier limited in practice
- Robinson: Big Ben on pace to break Favre’s record — for sacks
- Texans coach O’Brien still cherishes time at Penn State
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin tunes out criticism from Cowher, Ward
- Texans’ Watt to challenge Steelers’ offensive line
- Steelers rookie wideout Bryant eager to show off talent
- Steelers seeking solutions for scoring problems in red zone