Steelers notebook: Offensive line knew it had to step up
Left guard Ramon Foster said Steelers linemen were aware after left tackle Levi Brown went down with a triceps injury during pregame warm-ups that Guy Whimper was the only available reserve offensive lineman Sunday.
Former starter Mike Adams wasn't active.
“Everybody was all in,” Foster said. “We knew nobody could go down.”
Foster said he wasn't troubled by a pectoral muscle issue that bothered him early last week.
• The Steelers gave Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith some looks they had not used previously, according to rookie outside linebacker Jarvis Jones. “It made him ... I won't say make bad decisions, but make quicker decisions,” Jones said. “I think we did a real good job of disguising it and being disciplined in what we were running. We were able to create some pressure.” Pressure from Jones led to the Steelers' second takeaway, a Lawrence Timmons interception of Smith.
• Ben Roethlisberger announced Monday on his website that he and wife, Ashley, are expecting their second child in the spring. Ben Jr. — nicknamed Baby Ben — was born Nov. 21. The newest arrival won't conflict with any game days.
• Cornerback Ike Taylor said the defense's goal is to hold a team to below 200 yards passing and 80 rushing; the Steelers almost achieved that by holding the Jets to 184 passing and 83 rushing. “It's hard to do that,” Taylor said. “But as long as we're running and hitting, everything else pretty much falls in line.”
• The Steelers are an 21st against the run but, with Ray Rice limited to 34 yards on 14 carries Sunday, the Ravens ran for only 47 yards in losing to the Packers, 19-17. Baltimore had 10 runs of 1 yard or less, is averaging only 2.7 yards per carry and is 27th overall in rushing.
• The Steelers not only haven't had a 100-yard rusher this season, they haven't rushed for more than 80 yards as a team in 11 games. Their last plus-100 game as a team was Nov. 18 in Baltimore (134 yards).
• Antonio Brown has 30 catches in his last three games, tying Hines Ward for the most in team history over such a span. Brown already has 41 catches and is on pace for 131, which would easily top Ward's team record of 112 in 2002.
• The Ravens have won two straight and three of their past four regular-season games in Heinz Field. Seven of last nine Ravens-Steelers games were decided by three points, including the last three.
— Alan Robinson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Steelers running back Bell is taking long-term look at his NFL career
- Steelers notebook: Best RB tandem in NFL?
- Steelers CB Allen working to regain form, make an impact
- Australians rule punting competition for chance to play for Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin stresses players remain in top physical shape
- Offseason training helping to accelerate adjustment to NFL life
- Rossi: Moats looks to make a splash with Steelers