Steelers notebook: Miller's subpar game not related to knee injury
• Tight end Heath Miller insists he's not bothered by his serious right knee injury from last season, but he made only one catch Sunday and graded a career-worst minus-5.3 in Pro Football Focus' evaluation. He dropped two passes and was beaten six times by a defender who went on to make a tackle. On defense, rookie Jarvis Jones graded much higher than Jason Worilds at outside linebacker.
• The Steelers' 23-10 victory over Buffalo was the 90th of Ben R oethlisberge r's career. Only four quarterbacks reached that mark in fewer games. He is 90-45 since becoming a starter in 2004. Former Steelers QB Terry Bradshaw needed 129 games.
• Le'Veon Bell has four rushing touchdowns through nine games, one fewer than Franco Harris had in the same number of games as a rookie in 1972.
• The Lions (6-3) lead the NFC North but haven't won in Pittsburgh in 58 years — or since a 31-28 win in 1955 when Bobby Layne was their quarterback during a 3-9 season. The Lions are 0-8-1 in Pittsburgh since then.
• Former Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch's work with his Best of the Batch Foundation will be featured during an NFL Network show at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday.
• The Steelers have made the playoffs only once when they were below .500 after nine games. They were 4-5 in 1989 before finishing 9-7, then beat Houston and nearly upset Denver in the playoffs.
• The Bengals (6-4) were starting to run away with the AFC North until they dropped successive overtime games to the Dolphins and Ravens. They play four of their final six at home following a bye this week, with the Browns, Colts, Vikings and Ravens visiting Cincinnati. They travel to San Diego and Pittsburgh.
— Alan Robinson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Steelers opt for youth, speed while revamping roster
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season