Steelers place center Velasco on IR with torn Achilles
The hits keep coming to the Steelers' offensive line.
Center Fernando Velasco tore his Achilles during the final moments of Thursday's 22-20 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The Steelers placed him on injured reserve, ending his season.
The Steelers signed Eric Olsen — a sixth-round draft pick of New Orleans in 2010 — but likely will turn to Cody Wallace to replace Velasco when the Steelers play Miami on Dec. 8.
Velasco played every snap since being signed Sept. 9 after Maurkice Pouncey was lost for the year with a torn ACL. Velasco helped solidify an offensive line that didn't allow a sack in back-to-back games against Cleveland and Baltimore.
The Steelers also released cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke to sign tackle Rashad Butler.
Butler played in nine games this season with the Browns.
— Mark Kaboly
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Steelers’ Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season