Steelers place center Velasco on IR with torn Achilles
The hits keep coming to the Steelers' offensive line.
Center Fernando Velasco tore his Achilles during the final moments of Thursday's 22-20 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The Steelers placed him on injured reserve, ending his season.
The Steelers signed Eric Olsen — a sixth-round draft pick of New Orleans in 2010 — but likely will turn to Cody Wallace to replace Velasco when the Steelers play Miami on Dec. 8.
Velasco played every snap since being signed Sept. 9 after Maurkice Pouncey was lost for the year with a torn ACL. Velasco helped solidify an offensive line that didn't allow a sack in back-to-back games against Cleveland and Baltimore.
The Steelers also released cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke to sign tackle Rashad Butler.
Butler played in nine games this season with the Browns.
— Mark Kaboly
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Steelers CB Allen working to regain form, make an impact
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Steelers running back Bell is taking long-term look at his NFL career
- Steelers notebook: Best RB tandem in NFL?
- Steelers wide receiver Wheaton embraces move to slot position
- Rossi: Moats looks to make a splash with Steelers
- Australians rule punting competition for chance to play for Steelers