Steelers notebook: Bengals' Lewis lauds LeBeau, his system
Marvin Lewis is a former Steelers assistant and knows Dick LeBeau's system as well as any NFL coach. To the Bengals coach, it's a timeless system that translates to different eras, much like the West Coast offense.
“You have one or two guys you might change out for whatever reason — they're injured or whatever — you go with different guys, different ways, but everybody else stays the same,” Lewis said. “I think that's the greatest thing about what they've been able to build under Dick in Pittsburgh.”
Lewis added, “That's the beauty of it. … I could probably walk in right now and understand the concepts and the terminology and the verbiage. It's not like they've changed.”
LeBeau said he's right.
“Marvin probably could stick his head in the huddle and play outside linebacker for us,” LeBeau said.
‘We know what we have'
The Steelers need to win twice in their final three games to avoid going 6-10, their worst record since they were 5-11 in 1988. They were 6-10 twice under coach Bill Cowher (1999 and 2003).
“We know what we have, we understand it and we don't make ‘what if' statements or larger statements about what we should have been or could have been,” receiver Antonio Brown said. “We just accept it for what it is.”
Arnfelt added to roster
Defensive end Brian Arnfelt was promoted from the practice squad for the game vs. the Bengals. He had been on the Steelers' practice squad since Sept. 1.
Linebacker Kion Wilson, who played in seven games this season, was released to make room for Arnfelt on the roster.
Green means go
Jerry Rice doesn't get passed over very often, but Bengals receiver A.J. Green eclipsed him and ranks third for receiving yards in the first three seasons of a career with 3,582. Rice had 3,575. The most for a Steelers receiver? Mike Wallace's 3,206 yards.
Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Texans coach O’Brien still cherishes time at Penn State
- Steelers notebook: WR Brown recalls Houston’s Watt as teammates at CMU
- Steelers rookie Tuitt prepares for big role
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts