Steelers notebook: Bengals' Lewis lauds LeBeau, his system
Marvin Lewis is a former Steelers assistant and knows Dick LeBeau's system as well as any NFL coach. To the Bengals coach, it's a timeless system that translates to different eras, much like the West Coast offense.
“You have one or two guys you might change out for whatever reason — they're injured or whatever — you go with different guys, different ways, but everybody else stays the same,” Lewis said. “I think that's the greatest thing about what they've been able to build under Dick in Pittsburgh.”
Lewis added, “That's the beauty of it. … I could probably walk in right now and understand the concepts and the terminology and the verbiage. It's not like they've changed.”
LeBeau said he's right.
“Marvin probably could stick his head in the huddle and play outside linebacker for us,” LeBeau said.
‘We know what we have'
The Steelers need to win twice in their final three games to avoid going 6-10, their worst record since they were 5-11 in 1988. They were 6-10 twice under coach Bill Cowher (1999 and 2003).
“We know what we have, we understand it and we don't make ‘what if' statements or larger statements about what we should have been or could have been,” receiver Antonio Brown said. “We just accept it for what it is.”
Arnfelt added to roster
Defensive end Brian Arnfelt was promoted from the practice squad for the game vs. the Bengals. He had been on the Steelers' practice squad since Sept. 1.
Linebacker Kion Wilson, who played in seven games this season, was released to make room for Arnfelt on the roster.
Green means go
Jerry Rice doesn't get passed over very often, but Bengals receiver A.J. Green eclipsed him and ranks third for receiving yards in the first three seasons of a career with 3,582. Rice had 3,575. The most for a Steelers receiver? Mike Wallace's 3,206 yards.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Unsung backups provide boost for Steelers defensive line
- Rookie linebacker Chickillo adjusting to role with Steelers
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson