Steelers RB coach Kirby Wilson to interview with Ravens
Steelers' running backs coach Kirby Wilson is one of four finalists for the open Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator's job.
Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh announced the finalists Tuesday.
Wilson is a somewhat surprising candidate for the position left open when Jim Caldwell was hired as the Lions' coach, if only because Baltimore is the Steelers' biggest rival. Wilson is under contract to the Steelers, who had to give permission for Baltimore to talk to him.
Wilson is expected to meet with Ravens coach John Harbaugh at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., this week. Other candidates for the job include former Rams head coach Scott Linehan, former Raiders offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler.
The Steelers have made only one coaching staff change during the offseason, firing offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. They interviewed former Titans head coach Mike Munchak for that position Friday.
Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler was believed to be in the running for the Titans' defensive coordinator's position, but new Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt — the former Steelers assistant — hired Ray Horton, the former Steelers assistant coach and Browns defensive coordinator.
Wilson has been with the Steelers since coach Mike Tomlin's first season in 2007.
This season, Wilson helped develop running back Le'Veon Bell, who broke Hall of Famer Franco Harris' team record for scrimmage yards in a season by a rookie. Before that, Rashard Mendenhall had a pair of 1,000-yard seasons with Wilson.
Wilson has been coaching since 1985, working for the Patriots, Redskins, Southern Cal, the Buccaneers and the Cardinals, among other jobs, before being hired by the Steelers. Wilson was believed to be in position to take the Steelers' offensive coordinator's job before he was badly burned in a house fire two years ago. The Steelers subsequently hired Todd Haley.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- Steelers film study: Team finds success blitzing members of secondary
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell shrugs off Ravens WR’s comments
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Steelers not afraid to bring heat with secondary
- Loss leaves bitter taste for Steelers’ Vick
- Bone bruise a concern for Roethlisberger in return to Steelers
- Missed field goals haunt Steelers in OT loss to Ravens
- Rossi: Put this Steelers loss squarely on the kicker
- Steelers-Ravens grades: Scobee rhymes with ‘D’