Steelers RB coach Kirby Wilson to interview with Ravens
Steelers' running backs coach Kirby Wilson is one of four finalists for the open Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator's job.
Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh announced the finalists Tuesday.
Wilson is a somewhat surprising candidate for the position left open when Jim Caldwell was hired as the Lions' coach, if only because Baltimore is the Steelers' biggest rival. Wilson is under contract to the Steelers, who had to give permission for Baltimore to talk to him.
Wilson is expected to meet with Ravens coach John Harbaugh at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., this week. Other candidates for the job include former Rams head coach Scott Linehan, former Raiders offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler.
The Steelers have made only one coaching staff change during the offseason, firing offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. They interviewed former Titans head coach Mike Munchak for that position Friday.
Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler was believed to be in the running for the Titans' defensive coordinator's position, but new Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt — the former Steelers assistant — hired Ray Horton, the former Steelers assistant coach and Browns defensive coordinator.
Wilson has been with the Steelers since coach Mike Tomlin's first season in 2007.
This season, Wilson helped develop running back Le'Veon Bell, who broke Hall of Famer Franco Harris' team record for scrimmage yards in a season by a rookie. Before that, Rashard Mendenhall had a pair of 1,000-yard seasons with Wilson.
Wilson has been coaching since 1985, working for the Patriots, Redskins, Southern Cal, the Buccaneers and the Cardinals, among other jobs, before being hired by the Steelers. Wilson was believed to be in position to take the Steelers' offensive coordinator's job before he was badly burned in a house fire two years ago. The Steelers subsequently hired Todd Haley.
Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Texans coach O’Brien still cherishes time at Penn State
- Robinson: Big Ben on pace to break Favre’s record — for sacks
- Play of the week: Texans find success with zone stretch running attack
- Steelers’ Haley unfazed by criticism
- Steelers rookie Tuitt prepares for big role