Steelers hire Saxon as running backs coach
The Steelers and Vikings apparently are trading running backs coaches.
James Saxon, let go by the Vikings after three seasons after a head coaching change, is the new Steelers running backs coach, the team announced Tuesday. He replaces Kirby Wilson, who was allowed to leave the team with one season remaining on his contract and is expected to be hired to coach the Vikings' running backs.
The Steelers needed only three days to replace Wilson, who interviewed twice to become the Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator but was not hired. Wilson was part of Mike Tomlin's original Steelers coaching staff in 2007 before leaving the team Saturday.
Saxon, who coached star running back Adrian Peterson in Minnesota, will be starting his 23rd NFL season as a player or coach. He previously coached the running backs for the Dolphins (2008-10), Chiefs (2001-07) and Bills (2000).
Saxon wasn't retained when Mike Zimmer was hired to replace Leslie Frazier as the Vikings' coach.
The Steelers also announced the signing of wide receiver Danny Coale, a fifth-round draft choice by Dallas in 2012, to a reserve-future contract. The former Virginia Tech player split time last season on the practice squads of the Cowboys and Colts.
Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Jaguars’ Bortles is mirror image of Steelers’ Roethlisberger
- Starkey: Slapstick Steelers deserved to lose
- Infractions, lack of discipline cost Steelers in loss to Buccaneers
- Steelers secondary aims to improve execution in order to prevent future mistakes
- NFL record little solace for Steelers WR Brown
- Steelers notebook: Harrison feeling down after loss in return
- Bucs’ Murphy turns back the clock to burn Steelers again
- Steelers DE Heyward making strides
- Steelers notebook: LB Worilds, RB Blount fined by NFL