Steelers notebook: Ex-Jaguars RB Jones-Drew visits team offices
The Steelers are looking for veteran depth at running back behind Le'Veon Bell and are interested in a three-time Pro Bowler.
Former Jacksonville Jaguars second-round pick and free agent Maurice Jones-Drew was seen visiting the Steelers on Wednesday.
Jones-Drew, who turns 29 on Sunday, is a three-time 1,000-yard rusher but is coming off two subpar seasons.
Following his 1,600-yard season in 2011, Jones-Drew had an injury-plagued 2012 followed by averaging 3.4 yards per carry last season in rushing for 803 yards and five touchdowns.
The Steelers are thin at running back behind Bell with only Alvester Alexander, Tauren Poole and Miguel Maysonet on the roster. The Steelers planned to have James Starks visit earlier this week, but Starks re-signed with Green Bay and canceled the visit.
Jones-Drew and Bell have the same agent: Adisa Bakari.
The Steelers also hosted former New Orleans receiver Lance Moore on Wednesday.
Roethlisberger's wife delivers girl
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's home team is filling out nicely.
Roethlisberger's wife, Ashley, gave birth to their second child early Wednesday: Baylee Marie Roethlisberger.
“Mom and baby are doing great,” Roethlisberger wrote on his website.
Baylee was born at 1:11 a.m.; weighed 6 pounds, 12 ounces; and measured 19 1⁄2 inches long.
It was the Roethlisberger's second child. Benjamin Jr. was born Nov. 21, 2012.
Roethlisberger, 32, married Ashley Harlan in July 2011.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Harrison return complicated by LeBeau, Titans
- Steelers notebook: Team seek ease on West Coast travel
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell could move to replace Polamalu
- Tomlin expects Steelers offense to grow
- Steelers expecting visit from former Cowboys CB
- Steelers’ Blake arrested in California
- Harrison writes he is deciding between signing with Steelers or Titans