Rice cornerback among 3 draft prospects to visit Steelers
Three more draft prospects visited the Steelers on Thursday, including Phillip Gaines of Rice, at least the fifth cornerback to meet with them on the South Side. Gaines is seen as a likely Day 2 pick.
Also visiting were defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman, a possible first-round pick from Minnesota, and Rob Branchflower, a Massachusetts tight end expected to last until the third day of the draft.
The Steelers also said their exhibition game at Philadelphia will be played Aug. 21 at 7:30 p.m., meaning their final two preseason games will be on a Thursday. They finish up Aug. 28 against Carolina at Heinz Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- Steelers cut ties with running back Blount after incident in Tennessee
- Rossi: As Blount walked, Porter called
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Cut by Steelers, LeGarrette Blount joins Patriots
- Steelers Film Session: Sticking with what works
- Steelers notebook: Gay, secondary brace for Saints QB Brees
- Workhorse role suits Steelers running back Bell
- Steelers’ Mitchell banned from social media
- Lack of experienced backup means more work for Steelers RB Bell