Rice cornerback among 3 draft prospects to visit Steelers
Three more draft prospects visited the Steelers on Thursday, including Phillip Gaines of Rice, at least the fifth cornerback to meet with them on the South Side. Gaines is seen as a likely Day 2 pick.
Also visiting were defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman, a possible first-round pick from Minnesota, and Rob Branchflower, a Massachusetts tight end expected to last until the third day of the draft.
The Steelers also said their exhibition game at Philadelphia will be played Aug. 21 at 7:30 p.m., meaning their final two preseason games will be on a Thursday. They finish up Aug. 28 against Carolina at Heinz Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Steelers defense takes aim at Ravens QB Flacco
- Steelers notebook: Ravens enter short-handed at tight end
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- ‘Big play’ moniker fits veteran Steelers cornerback Gay
- Steelers’ prime-time games shrink attendance at Heinz Field
- Steelers film session: Accuracy propels Roethlisberger vs. Colts
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Steelers notebook: Offensive lineman Adams returns to reserve role
- Rossi: Roethlisberger’s 100th was legendary, maybe more
- Steelers notebook: CB Allen sent to bench