Rice cornerback among 3 draft prospects to visit Steelers
Three more draft prospects visited the Steelers on Thursday, including Phillip Gaines of Rice, at least the fifth cornerback to meet with them on the South Side. Gaines is seen as a likely Day 2 pick.
Also visiting were defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman, a possible first-round pick from Minnesota, and Rob Branchflower, a Massachusetts tight end expected to last until the third day of the draft.
The Steelers also said their exhibition game at Philadelphia will be played Aug. 21 at 7:30 p.m., meaning their final two preseason games will be on a Thursday. They finish up Aug. 28 against Carolina at Heinz Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Steelers’ Mitchell taking cautious approach about dealing with injuries
- Inside the Steelers: Wide array of receiving options shine
- Slot cornerback Boykin should give Steelers options in secondary
- Steelers’ Harrison awaits go-ahead from Tomlin before practicing
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Steelers notebook: WR Bryant sidelined after minor procedure on right elbow
- Inside the Steelers: QB Jones continues to get majority of snaps
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- Inside the Steelers: Roethlisberger strong in goal-line drills
- Steelers notebook: Officials discuss new game ball procedures