Rice cornerback among 3 draft prospects to visit Steelers
Three more draft prospects visited the Steelers on Thursday, including Phillip Gaines of Rice, at least the fifth cornerback to meet with them on the South Side. Gaines is seen as a likely Day 2 pick.
Also visiting were defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman, a possible first-round pick from Minnesota, and Rob Branchflower, a Massachusetts tight end expected to last until the third day of the draft.
The Steelers also said their exhibition game at Philadelphia will be played Aug. 21 at 7:30 p.m., meaning their final two preseason games will be on a Thursday. They finish up Aug. 28 against Carolina at Heinz Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jaguars’ Bortles much like Roethlisberger, except for lack of wins
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Jaguars’ Bortles is mirror image of Steelers’ Roethlisberger
- Steelers DE Heyward making strides
- Starkey: Slapstick Steelers deserved to lose
- Steelers’ Wheaton proving to be reliable target