NFL notebook: Seahawks' safety Thomas gets 4-year, $40 million extension
Earl Thomas is the latest member of the Super Bowl champion Seahawks to be locked up for the future.
Thomas and the Seahawks reached agreement Monday on a $40 million, four-year contract extension with just over $27.7 million guaranteed, according to two people with knowledge of the agreement. They spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because there had been no announcement from the team.
Thomas, a two-time first-team All-Pro free safety, could have gone into the 2014 season with free agency on the horizon. Instead, Seattle made sure to keep the most important cog of its defense through the 2018 season.
Browns have interest in QB Young
Quarterback Vince Young is taking a physical with the Browns and is expected to be in minicamp with the team this week. Browns general manager Ray Farmer said the team has been closely tracking Young, who hasn't played in an NFL game since 2011. The 30-year-old played for the Eagles that year. He spent his first five seasons in the league with the Titans.
Jackson's release ‘football decision'
Speaking at an elementary school in Philadelphia, Eagles coach Chip Kelly said DeSean Jackson's release was “purely a football decision” and had nothing to do with the wide receiver's alleged ties to gang members, ESPN reported. Jackson, a three-time Pro Bowler, had 82 receptions for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns last season. He signed with the Redskins for a reported $24 million over three years.
Rams pick up pass rusher's option
The Rams exercised the fifth-year contract option on All-Pro defensive end Robert Quinn, keeping one of the top pass rushers in the fold through 2015. Quinn set a team record with 19 sacks last season.
Bears' WR Morgan arrested
Bears wide receiver Josh Morgan was arrested and charged with punching a man outside a Washington nightclub. Morgan agreed to a one-year contract with Chicago last week. He played for Washington for the previous two seasons.
Kosar pleads no contest to charge
Former NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar pleaded no contest to a reckless operation charge after blaming knee and ankle surgeries for not performing a field sobriety test during a traffic stop last year. Kosar entered a plea and received a $750 fine and suspended jail sentence.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Steelers sign former ACC Player of the Year Boyd for QB depth
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Depth a concern for Steelers’ Colbert
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Time running out for Steelers’ third-string quarterback Jones?
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?