Prosecutors considering evidence against Steelers' Pouncey
South Florida prosecutors reportedly are reviewing evidence police submitted that they say is enough to charge Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey with misdemeanor battery.
Miami Beach police are investigating what role, if any, Pouncey and his twin brother, Mike, who plays for the Miami Dolphins, played in a July 12 altercation at a South Beach nightclub.
“We will be reviewing all of the evidence from the police as well as any evidence presented by attorneys of the related parties,” Ed Griffith, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade Office of the State Attorney, told the Miami Herald on Friday. The State Attorney's Office would be the agency to file charges.
A Miami Beach detective told the Herald that authorities met with prosecutors Friday and believe the evidence they submitted is enough to charge Maurkice Pouncey. The detective did not mention Mike Pouncey.
The Pounceys have denied any wrongdoing.
Three people filed a civil lawsuit against the twins seeking damages in excess of $15,000. They claim the Pounceys made homophobic remarks and physically attacked them during a birthday party for the twins.
Even if Pouncey is charged, police would not go after him while he is in Pennsylvania, the Herald reported, but he would be faced with addressing the matter whenever he returns to the area.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Steelers realize that Brees-led Saints are always dangerous
- Steelers notebook: Linebackers on the spot against Saints offense
- Polamalu, Taylor among Steelers starters returning for Sunday’s game vs. Saints
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- NFL parity makes playoff chase a multi-team muddle
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Steelers are finding no need for no-huddle with recent surge on offense
- Despite aerial success, Steelers don’t want to abandon run game
- Steelers cut ties with running back Blount after incident in Tennessee