Steelers notebook: Personal issue puts punter Podlesh on reserved/did not report list
• Punter Adam Podlesh (personal issues), who has missed the entire camp, was placed on the reserved/did not report list. Rookie Brad Wing (36.5 average vs. Giants) remains the only punter in camp, and coach Mike Tomlin said, for now, the Steelers aren't bringing in anyone else. The Steelers were next to last in 2013 in average (41.1) and net average (35.2) with Zoltan Mesko and Mat McBriar punting.
• Tomlin sent a message to Martavis Bryant, even after the rookie wide receiver made two excellent red-zone catches in practice. “(He needs to) have the type of detail in his work where we can rely upon him,” Tomlin said. Like a lot of young guys, he's moving toward that, but not at a quick enough pace for us, and not at a quick enough pace for him.”
• Linebacker Vince Williams said “it was tough from a mental aspect” when he was benched for first-round draft pick Ryan Shazier, “but I've kind of pushed past it. You can't sit back and be bitter.” However, Williams — who has had a strong camp — was being evaluated after practice Tuesday for a possible concussion, Tomlin said. Also not finishing were offensive lineman Ramon Foster (knee swelling), fullback Will Johnson and cornerback Shaq Richardson (both undisclosed).
• The Steelers' leading tackler against the Giants was Dan Molls, a free agent linebacker from Toledo. “I told him like I told a lot of the other guys, we're calling for the third defense (in practice),” Tomlin said. “In a couple of weeks, there will be no third defense. If you're on the third defense, you'd better make a move.”
Wednesday: 3 p.m.,joint practice with Bills
Thursday: 5 p.m., joint practice with Bills
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Team seek ease on West Coast travel
- Steelers notebook: Harrison return complicated by LeBeau, Titans
- Tomlin expects Steelers offense to grow
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell could move to replace Polamalu
- Tomlin eyes Steelers’ return to defensive success this season
- Steelers notebook: Haley sees role for Archer
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Steelers notebook: Cornerback need will wait until draft
- Steelers re-sign LB Harrison to 2-year deal