Steelers notebook: Tomlin says long snapper's leg injury could be 'significant'
• The Steelers didn't avoid a potentially troublesome injury during the Bills' practice. Greg Warren, their long snapper since 2005, sustained an undetermined “and potentially significant” leg injury, according to coach Mike Tomlin. Held out was linebacker Vince Williams (concussion), and fullback Will Johnson and safety Will Allen injured hamstrings.
• For years, cornerback Ike Taylor shadowed an opponent's top receiver no matter which side of the field he played. That changed at midseason a year ago, when he began playing the right side exclusively, with Cortez Allen on the left. That means Allen often matches up against No. 1. “I'm up for any challenge,” Allen said.
• The Steelers dedicated a bench on a hillside overlooking Chuck Noll Field in honor of the late Bill Nunn, who had scouted for them since the 1960s. Nunn's work uncovering prime talent at under-scouted black colleges helped the Steelers land numerous players who helped them win four Super Bowls in the 1970s.
• New defensive assistant Joey Porter is helping outside linebacker Jarvis Jones work on inside pass rush moves in addition to his outside moves. Jones used an inside move to get a sack against the Giants.
• A four-day road trip in the preseason? That's what the Bills are undertaking to practice twice against the Steelers before playing them Saturday at Heinz Field. They're staying at a Pittsburgh hotel, are holding walkthroughs at the Steelers' South Side complex and busing to Latrobe.
Thursday : 5:30 p.m., j oint practice with Bills.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Steelers sign punter Wing to 1-year extension
- Steelers’ Rooney says both teams should use same footballs
- Steelers’ unrestricted free agent Moats proves worth at linebacker
- Steelers injured running back Bell won’t be in uniform for Pro Bowl
- Steelers mum on national report involving head of security