Steelers notebook: Polamalu's sideline tirade still making impression on teammates
•Troy Polamalu's sideline blowup in Philadelphia continues to resonate among his teammates. Safety Mike Mitchell had an animated discussion with rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier immediately before Polamalu began yelling during a sideline huddle Thursday. “It was something he (Polamalu) needed to get off his chest and something that needed to be heard,” linebacker Jason Worilds said.
• Coach Mike Tomlin usually sits some, if not most, of his starters in the final preseason game. Last year in Carolina, only the offensive line played as a unit, and for a single series. Several players said Monday they're not sure if the poor performance in Philadelphia will prompt Tomlin to play some starters Thursday against the Panthers. “I'm ready to play until they tap me out,” Mitchell said.
• Isaac Redman, who began last season as the Steelers' starting running back with Le'Veon Bell injured, retired because of a spinal cord injury. “Last season I tried to play my best through a neck injury, but I just wasn't myself on the field,” Redman said in a statement. Redman ran for 1,148 yards in five Steelers seasons, but he had only 12 yards on 10 carries in 2013.
• Ben Roethlisberger said offenses should take advantage of the NFL's crackdown on illegal contact against receivers. “Maybe you start telling one of your receivers just to fall down on every play and hope you get a flag,” he said.
• Monday was the last practice for some players because rosters must be cut from 90 to 75 by Tuesday.
• Outside linebacker Sean Spence did not practice Monday because of a sprained posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee that apparently won't need surgery. Tomlin plans to update his status Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers visit with Arizona State receiver Strong, claim long snapper
- Maligned Nebraska OLB Gregory visits Steelers
- Steelers veteran cornerback Ike Taylor announces retirement
- Steelers name player engagement coordinator
- Steelers host Auburn WR Coates, 2 others
- Steelers host two more pre-draft tight ends
- Steelers notebook: Nebraska LB scheduled to visit Steelers Thursday
- Polamalu to retire after 12 seasons with Steelers
- Rooneys say Polamalu ‘ranks right up there’ with Steelers’ all-time greats