Police: Oil City boy, 13, killed grandparents over insult about his mother
PITTSBURGH — State police say a 13-year-old told them he fatally shot his grandparents in their Pennsylvania home because he was upset that they called his mother a whore.
Troopers from the Franklin barracks announced the charges Tuesday against Zachary James Proper, of Oil City, but provided few details.
The Derrick in Oil City first reported the charges, which state police confirmed in a short news release.
A criminal complaint charges that Proper shot his grandmother, Dorothy Fross, and step-grandfather, George Fross, at their home in Sandycreek Township about 4 p.m. Sunday.
Calls to the boy's parents and a defense attorney listed in court papers were not immediately returned.
The boy has been arraigned and ordered held without bond, which is standard in homicide cases in Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pennsylvania legislative leader Costa blasts suggestion of session before Wolf sworn in as governor
- Conneaut Lake Park to take case to court for tax-exempt status
- Ohio woman shot to death nearly 3 days before police find body in Neshannock home
- Philly stadium-district casino wins new license
- Attorney general Kane reverses claim about child porn in emails
- Geologist: Site of idyllic 1833 painting of Lancaster found
- Evaporating cap on Pa. gasoline taxes to offset drops at pump
- Cold sets record high of 21 for Nov. 18
- Obama’s climate plan unfair to Pennsylvania, Casey says