Police: Oil City boy, 13, killed grandparents over insult about his mother
PITTSBURGH — State police say a 13-year-old told them he fatally shot his grandparents in their Pennsylvania home because he was upset that they called his mother a whore.
Troopers from the Franklin barracks announced the charges Tuesday against Zachary James Proper, of Oil City, but provided few details.
The Derrick in Oil City first reported the charges, which state police confirmed in a short news release.
A criminal complaint charges that Proper shot his grandmother, Dorothy Fross, and step-grandfather, George Fross, at their home in Sandycreek Township about 4 p.m. Sunday.
Calls to the boy's parents and a defense attorney listed in court papers were not immediately returned.
The boy has been arraigned and ordered held without bond, which is standard in homicide cases in Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big-game hunting means navigating Third World country political systems
- Indicted Pennsylvania lawmaker Fattah vows to run for re-election
- Western Pa. youths chosen for state police camp
- Fallout from child protection law felt in Pa. churches, libraries, fields
- Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf police chief decision coming ‘soon’
- Boy youngest to receive double-hand transplant in Philadelphia
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption
- Lawrence power plant being converted to gas from coal