Police: Oil City boy, 13, killed grandparents over insult about his mother
PITTSBURGH — State police say a 13-year-old told them he fatally shot his grandparents in their Pennsylvania home because he was upset that they called his mother a whore.
Troopers from the Franklin barracks announced the charges Tuesday against Zachary James Proper, of Oil City, but provided few details.
The Derrick in Oil City first reported the charges, which state police confirmed in a short news release.
A criminal complaint charges that Proper shot his grandmother, Dorothy Fross, and step-grandfather, George Fross, at their home in Sandycreek Township about 4 p.m. Sunday.
Calls to the boy's parents and a defense attorney listed in court papers were not immediately returned.
The boy has been arraigned and ordered held without bond, which is standard in homicide cases in Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LCB ruling could mean home-delivered beer in Pa.
- Sandusky won’t get his pension back
- Liquor Control Board, Pennsylvania universities target problem drinking
- Erie man charged with 1990 slaying of Virginia Beach woman
- Poor sales sink multi-state Monopoly Millionaires’ Club lottery
- Philadelphia mother pleads guilty as boy, 2, shoots, kills sister
- Pennsylvania Marine who killed family takes own life
- Enrollment in Pennsylvania’s Medicaid expansion kicks off with a few hiccups