Police: Oil City boy, 13, killed grandparents over insult about his mother
PITTSBURGH — State police say a 13-year-old told them he fatally shot his grandparents in their Pennsylvania home because he was upset that they called his mother a whore.
Troopers from the Franklin barracks announced the charges Tuesday against Zachary James Proper, of Oil City, but provided few details.
The Derrick in Oil City first reported the charges, which state police confirmed in a short news release.
A criminal complaint charges that Proper shot his grandmother, Dorothy Fross, and step-grandfather, George Fross, at their home in Sandycreek Township about 4 p.m. Sunday.
Calls to the boy's parents and a defense attorney listed in court papers were not immediately returned.
The boy has been arraigned and ordered held without bond, which is standard in homicide cases in Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Free’ wine kiosk initiative costs state Liquor Control Board $300K
- Officials file to end lawsuit against Penn State, NCAA
- Brookville man gets 40 to 80 years for killing man, cutting body with saw
- Nonprofit tax break proposal may get Pa. Senate committee vote this week
- State man, 77, gets 4 months for aiding son’s escape plan
- Wolf nominates 2 more to cabinet
- Senate Finance Committee advances amendment that could affect nonprofit taxes
- Significant winter storm heads toward Northeast corridor