Police: Oil City boy, 13, killed grandparents over insult about his mother
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 9:10 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
PITTSBURGH — State police say a 13-year-old told them he fatally shot his grandparents in their Pennsylvania home because he was upset that they called his mother a whore.
Troopers from the Franklin barracks announced the charges Tuesday against Zachary James Proper, of Oil City, but provided few details.
The Derrick in Oil City first reported the charges, which state police confirmed in a short news release.
A criminal complaint charges that Proper shot his grandmother, Dorothy Fross, and step-grandfather, George Fross, at their home in Sandycreek Township about 4 p.m. Sunday.
Calls to the boy's parents and a defense attorney listed in court papers were not immediately returned.
The boy has been arraigned and ordered held without bond, which is standard in homicide cases in Pennsylvania.
- Former Speaker DeWeese expected to remain in prison
- Wounded veteran gets mortgage-free Dormont house
- Agency: Charters ignore most records requests
- Driver dies in Mercer County crash
- Tornado a warning for schools in Pittsburgh region
- WVU students ignore street sign amnesty offer
- Woman fights barriers after brain injury
- Late surge puts McVay in battle for judgeship
- Rare copy of Bill of Rights could make stop in Pittsburgh
- Local ‘drummer boys’ plan march from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg
- $6M in Centax payouts planned
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.