Police: Oil City boy, 13, killed grandparents over insult about his mother
PITTSBURGH — State police say a 13-year-old told them he fatally shot his grandparents in their Pennsylvania home because he was upset that they called his mother a whore.
Troopers from the Franklin barracks announced the charges Tuesday against Zachary James Proper, of Oil City, but provided few details.
The Derrick in Oil City first reported the charges, which state police confirmed in a short news release.
A criminal complaint charges that Proper shot his grandmother, Dorothy Fross, and step-grandfather, George Fross, at their home in Sandycreek Township about 4 p.m. Sunday.
Calls to the boy's parents and a defense attorney listed in court papers were not immediately returned.
The boy has been arraigned and ordered held without bond, which is standard in homicide cases in Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Western Pennsylvania workers’ names echo different career paths
- Corbett team rails at pollster
- Blight tests distressed cities in Pa.
- Conservative legislator puts credentials on line in bipartisan medicinal marijuana effort
- Pennsylvania investigators get truck to aid in finding child predators
- Blair County judge rejects Kenney appeal
- Man sentenced for killing girlfriend after crash
- Demand for truck drivers soars in Western Pennsylvania