Police: Oil City boy, 13, killed grandparents over insult about his mother
PITTSBURGH — State police say a 13-year-old told them he fatally shot his grandparents in their Pennsylvania home because he was upset that they called his mother a whore.
Troopers from the Franklin barracks announced the charges Tuesday against Zachary James Proper, of Oil City, but provided few details.
The Derrick in Oil City first reported the charges, which state police confirmed in a short news release.
A criminal complaint charges that Proper shot his grandmother, Dorothy Fross, and step-grandfather, George Fross, at their home in Sandycreek Township about 4 p.m. Sunday.
Calls to the boy's parents and a defense attorney listed in court papers were not immediately returned.
The boy has been arraigned and ordered held without bond, which is standard in homicide cases in Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Potential suspension of Pennsylvania AG’s license unusual
- Conneaut Lake Park wants to sell some land
- State’s high court rules in favor of turnpike worker, will get another chance to prove his firing violated whistlebower laws
- Ex-LCB official Short to plead guilty to soliciting, concealing kickbacks from vendors
- Pennsylvania welfare employees targeted in crackdown
- Grieving pet owners find loving support in Pennsylvania group
- Wall drawings of turn-of-the-century prizefighter found in Lancaster home
- Pa. to kick off online registration
- Kane received sensitive emails on personal account
- Consensus on pension reform still elusive in Pa.
- Democrats stand firm, deny GOP the margin needed in Pa. budget battle