Newsmaker: Doreen Boyce
Noteworthy: Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Three Rivers Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors.
Family: Widow; adult children, Caroline and Trevor.
Age: In her 70s
Occupation: Retired. Last full-time position was as president of the Buhl Foundation, from 1982 to 2007.
Education: Master's/bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Oxford in England in 1956; doctorate in education from the University of Pittsburgh in 1982.
Background: Co-founded Microbac Laboratories Inc. in Pittsburgh in 1969. Provost and Dean of Faculty at Chatham University from 1974-79. Received Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Universities Distinguished Service Award in 1985. Named a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania by Gov. Tom Ridge in 1996. Named a History Maker by the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center in 2005.
Quote: “When you feel you can make a contribution, it makes life worthwhile.”
— by Thomas Olson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fallout from child protection law felt in Pa. churches, libraries, fields
- Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf police chief decision coming ‘soon’
- Lawrence power plant being converted to gas from coal
- Pennsylvania Senator Casey pushes for railroad bridge inspectors
- Medical pot has advocate in Pennsylvania House
- 2001 same-sex union recognized despite partner’s death
- Fight for equal access continues 25 years after ADA signed
- Probe continues in fatal shooting in Sharon hospital parking lot
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption