Newsmaker: Doreen Boyce
Noteworthy: Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Three Rivers Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors.
Family: Widow; adult children, Caroline and Trevor.
Age: In her 70s
Occupation: Retired. Last full-time position was as president of the Buhl Foundation, from 1982 to 2007.
Education: Master's/bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Oxford in England in 1956; doctorate in education from the University of Pittsburgh in 1982.
Background: Co-founded Microbac Laboratories Inc. in Pittsburgh in 1969. Provost and Dean of Faculty at Chatham University from 1974-79. Received Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Universities Distinguished Service Award in 1985. Named a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania by Gov. Tom Ridge in 1996. Named a History Maker by the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center in 2005.
Quote: “When you feel you can make a contribution, it makes life worthwhile.”
— by Thomas Olson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pennsylvania’s new online voter registration site goes live
- Kane received sensitive emails on personal account
- Pa. Gov. Wolf: Big changes needed in troubled school district
- Judge holds Pa. AG Kane for trial on 1 felony, 7 misdemeanors
- Pa. to kick off online registration
- Democrats stand firm, deny GOP the margin needed in Pa. budget battle
- No rest for students working mattress fundraisers
- Retired Pa. Attorney General’s Office agent says criminal case against Kane stresses department