Newsmaker: Doreen Boyce
Noteworthy: Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Three Rivers Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors.
Family: Widow; adult children, Caroline and Trevor.
Age: In her 70s
Occupation: Retired. Last full-time position was as president of the Buhl Foundation, from 1982 to 2007.
Education: Master's/bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Oxford in England in 1956; doctorate in education from the University of Pittsburgh in 1982.
Background: Co-founded Microbac Laboratories Inc. in Pittsburgh in 1969. Provost and Dean of Faculty at Chatham University from 1974-79. Received Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Universities Distinguished Service Award in 1985. Named a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania by Gov. Tom Ridge in 1996. Named a History Maker by the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center in 2005.
Quote: “When you feel you can make a contribution, it makes life worthwhile.”
— by Thomas Olson
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lawsuit against Pennsylvania Gov. Corbett’s Medicaid program overhaul say it could hurt poor
- Republican legislator estimates selling state liquor system could net $1B
- 1 dead in New Castle house fire deemed suspicious
- Poconos-area man who helped subdue gunman among Carnegie Heroes
- Liquor Control Board, Pennsylvania universities target problem drinking
- Reading deals with ‘ugly’ tree saga
- LCB ruling could mean home-delivered beer in Pa.
- Search intensifies for Philly-area gunman who killed 6
- Philadelphia police commissioner urges caution after shootings of officers
- Chronic wasting disease in deer may be game changer in Pa.
- Licensing boards increase fees to cover costs that include investigations