Newsmaker: Doreen Boyce
Noteworthy: Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Three Rivers Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors.
Family: Widow; adult children, Caroline and Trevor.
Age: In her 70s
Occupation: Retired. Last full-time position was as president of the Buhl Foundation, from 1982 to 2007.
Education: Master's/bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Oxford in England in 1956; doctorate in education from the University of Pittsburgh in 1982.
Background: Co-founded Microbac Laboratories Inc. in Pittsburgh in 1969. Provost and Dean of Faculty at Chatham University from 1974-79. Received Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Universities Distinguished Service Award in 1985. Named a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania by Gov. Tom Ridge in 1996. Named a History Maker by the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center in 2005.
Quote: “When you feel you can make a contribution, it makes life worthwhile.”
— by Thomas Olson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Federal grand jury reviewing Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board violations, sources tell Trib
- Bill that would end district-level review of homeschooling in Pennsylvania goes to Corbett
- Pa. town can keep Jim Thorpe’s body
- Eric Frein lookalike: I keep getting stopped
- State police have seized twice as much heroin this year as in all of 2013
- Justice blames feud for his ouster; chief of court admits he did seek to remove him
- Schools reopen as manhunt for Frein continues
- Schools closed after state police ambush suspect reportedly sighted nearby
- Pennsylvania school performance scores stuck in limbo
- Attorneys want ‘Kids for Cash’ figure’s windfall frozen