Newsmaker: Doreen Boyce
Noteworthy: Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Three Rivers Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors.
Family: Widow; adult children, Caroline and Trevor.
Age: In her 70s
Occupation: Retired. Last full-time position was as president of the Buhl Foundation, from 1982 to 2007.
Education: Master's/bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Oxford in England in 1956; doctorate in education from the University of Pittsburgh in 1982.
Background: Co-founded Microbac Laboratories Inc. in Pittsburgh in 1969. Provost and Dean of Faculty at Chatham University from 1974-79. Received Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Universities Distinguished Service Award in 1985. Named a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania by Gov. Tom Ridge in 1996. Named a History Maker by the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center in 2005.
Quote: “When you feel you can make a contribution, it makes life worthwhile.”
— by Thomas Olson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Upper St. Clair family’s efforts pay as governor signs Down syndrome education bill
- Philly Nazi suspect dies as extradition request OK’d
- More than 500 migrant kids sent to Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania liquor licenses are considered ‘better than gold’
- Mother, maternal grandparents charged in abuse of Mercer County boy
- Environmental groups win in open records case against Corbett
- Stronger laws in play in Mercer County starvation case
- Public invited to archaeological dig in Allegheny National Forest