Newsmaker: Doreen Boyce
Noteworthy: Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Three Rivers Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors.
Family: Widow; adult children, Caroline and Trevor.
Age: In her 70s
Occupation: Retired. Last full-time position was as president of the Buhl Foundation, from 1982 to 2007.
Education: Master's/bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Oxford in England in 1956; doctorate in education from the University of Pittsburgh in 1982.
Background: Co-founded Microbac Laboratories Inc. in Pittsburgh in 1969. Provost and Dean of Faculty at Chatham University from 1974-79. Received Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Universities Distinguished Service Award in 1985. Named a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania by Gov. Tom Ridge in 1996. Named a History Maker by the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center in 2005.
Quote: “When you feel you can make a contribution, it makes life worthwhile.”
— by Thomas Olson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Western Pennsylvania workers’ names echo different career paths
- Bucks County high school reels from teens’ deaths
- Departing prosecutor in Pennsylvania Turnpike pay-to-play case does not blame lack of resources
- Blight tests distressed cities in Pa.
- Corbett team rails at pollster
- Corbett, Wolf agree on 3 gubernatorial debates
- Demand for truck drivers soars in Western Pennsylvania
- Education Department ordered to release 644 pages of emails on abuse at Penn State
- Racino near Youngstown to carve out slice of Pennsylvania market