Newsmaker: Doreen Boyce
Noteworthy: Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Three Rivers Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors.
Family: Widow; adult children, Caroline and Trevor.
Age: In her 70s
Occupation: Retired. Last full-time position was as president of the Buhl Foundation, from 1982 to 2007.
Education: Master's/bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Oxford in England in 1956; doctorate in education from the University of Pittsburgh in 1982.
Background: Co-founded Microbac Laboratories Inc. in Pittsburgh in 1969. Provost and Dean of Faculty at Chatham University from 1974-79. Received Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Universities Distinguished Service Award in 1985. Named a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania by Gov. Tom Ridge in 1996. Named a History Maker by the Sen. John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center in 2005.
Quote: “When you feel you can make a contribution, it makes life worthwhile.”
— by Thomas Olson
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pennsylvania’s deer season for hunters with rifles starts
- Veterans courts in Pennsylvania dubbed remedy for recidivism
- Western Pa. dairies get creative to ensure eggnog supply
- Settlements in Sandusky scandal up to nearly $93 million for Penn State
- Chief justice revokes Feudale’s senior judge status
- Western Pa. community colleges struggle for relevancy as enrollment falls
- Pennsylvania Senate defeats tax overhaul plan
- White House Christmas tree sent from Pennsylvania
- Bucks County tells state: No budget, no tax payments
- Elder care facilities evoke times gone by in quest to fight dementia
- Philly traffic stop turns violent; trooper shot in shoulder