Penn State says its costs in Sandusky scandal top $41M
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 8:18 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, March 26, 2013
STATE COLLEGE — Penn State has released a document sought by some of its critics detailing the agreement with former FBI Director Louis Freeh to investigate the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, a review that cost the school about $8.1 million.
Including the bill to pay Freeh, Penn State's total costs associated with the scandal topped $41 million as of the end of December, the university disclosed Monday on a website.
The monthly financial update provided more itemization for certain costs, including the Freeh report. The update counted the first of five annual $12 million installments — paid in December — to cover the $60 million fine from the NCAA as part of landmark sanctions over the scandal.
Some alumni had called on the university to release itemized costs and the letter of agreement with Freeh that outlined his responsibilities and the scope of the internal investigation. Penn State posted the letter, which called for the Freeh report to “provide recommendations ... for actions to be taken to attempt to ensure that those and similar failures do not occur again.”
Trustee Anthony Lubrano has said the school should ask for a refund from Freeh because the investigation was not full or complete.
- Police: Missing Pennsylvania man may have run off
- 57 W.Pa. hopefuls missed filing deadline, data show
- $6M in Centax payouts planned
- Jurors to mull death penalty in slayings of 12
- Local ‘drummer boys’ plan march from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg
- Agency: Charters ignore most records requests
- Winter bee deaths devastate keepers
- Woman fights barriers after brain injury
- Report reviews women’s status at PSU
- Ex-Philadelphia officer once hailed as hero faces charges
- Trib reporter’s Iraq stories win top Pa. press award
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.