Gettysburg reviews security for 150th anniversary commemoration
Last week's bombings at the finish line of the Boston Marathon prompted organizers of this summer's 150th anniversary commemoration of the Battle of Gettysburg to review their security plan.
“The question came up (on Wednesday) while we were updating state lawmakers about our plans for the event,” said Norris Flowers, president of the Gettysburg Convention & Visitors Bureau. “Security has always been a top priority for us, so the events in Boston certainly have affected the conversation.”
Flowers met with members of the House Tourism and Recreational Development Committee at the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Gettysburg.
An estimated 200,000 people are expected to visit Gettysburg between June 28 and July 7 for hundreds of activities. They include encampments and demonstrations on the battlefield; children's programs, talks and book signings by Civil War historians; and the opening of the Seminary Ridge museum.
The Battle of Gettysburg was fought from July 1-3, 1863.
Flowers said he cannot discuss specific details of security measures.
State and local police have scheduled a public seminar in Gettysburg May 29 to discuss elements of the security plan and what residents can do to assist, he said.
“The need for people to be watchful will certainly play a major role in preventing any problems,“ Flowers said.
Tony LaRussa is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7987 or firstname.lastname@example.org.