Pa. woman claims winning $131.5M Powerball ticket
$131.5M Pa. Powerball winner makes herself scarce
UPPER DARBY — It appears that Patricia Chandler hit the lottery and hightailed it out of Upper Darby.
No one answered the door at Chandler's home this week — or a few weeks ago — when a Philadelphia Daily News reporter came knocking in search of the new millionaire.
Lottery officials said that Chandler came forward to claim the $131.5 million annuity Powerball jackpot drawn on June 22. Chandler opted for the $77.4 million cash lump sum.
“She's probably already out of the neighborhood. My assumption is she's gone,” Upper Darby police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said on Wednesday, adding that police haven't heard from the woman since she won. “Maybe she'll buy the block and refurbish it,” Chitwood said.
She bought the ticket at a beer distributorship. The store's owner, Gary Patel, received a $100,000 bonus for selling the winner.
Chandler hasn't commented publicly. She doesn't have the cash in hand; the lottery says it will take four to six weeks.
The odds of winning the jackpot she claimed were 1 in 175,223,510.
Near the address listed in property records for Chandler, her neighbors slammed their doors when a reporter approached to talk.
A lone insurance salesman from Havertown who did not identify himself loitered in front of Chandler's house, hoping to sell her some insurance for the newfound fortune.
— From wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Licensing boards increase fees to cover costs that include investigations
- PSU employee kicks cancer, picks up degree
- Liquor Control Board, Pennsylvania universities target problem drinking
- Secret Santa saves the day for York County senior center residents
- Poor sales sink multi-state Monopoly Millionaires’ Club lottery
- LCB ruling could mean home-delivered beer in Pa.
- Enrollment in Pennsylvania’s Medicaid expansion kicks off with a few hiccups
- Erie man charged with 1990 slaying of Virginia Beach woman
- Sandusky won’t get his pension back