7 more agree to settlements with Penn State in Sandusky abuse case
By Adam Smeltz
Published: Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013, 10:54 p.m.
At least eight men, including Jerry Sandusky's adopted son, have reached settlement agreements with Penn State University over alleged abuse by the former assistant football coach, their lawyers say.
Matt Sandusky, a young man known as “Victim 2”in court records, and three other victims who testified against Jerry Sandusky at his criminal trial last summer are among those who finalized deals with the school, attorneys said.
Reached Saturday, a Penn State spokesman acknowledged the school is “making progress” but had no further comment.
“By coming forward, these courageous men did so much more than the institutions that were supposed to protect them. They spoke truth to power,” said Andrew Shubin, a State College-based attorney, who represents seven men claiming abuse by Sandusky.
Shubin said the resolution of their claims “is but one small step and a long and difficult recovery process.”
Neither Penn State nor the men's lawyers have disclosed dollar amounts involved in the individual settlements. University trustee Ted Brown said in July that the school's governing board authorized about $60 million for an initial batch of payouts.
Thirty-one men have alleged abuse by Sandusky in civil claims against Penn State. Earlier last week, a lawyer brought in by the school to facilitate negotiations said he expected two dozen cases to settle in the near future.
He could not be reached on Saturday.
Matt Sandusky had been expected to testify in his father's defense until the criminal trial, when he told investigators that he also had been abused by Jerry Sandusky.
“Victim 2” has said he was the boy whom then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary testified he saw being attacked by Jerry Sandusky in a team shower in 2001. McQueary notified school officials at the time, but police were never called.
Matt Casey, a Philadelphia attorney working with Shubin, said their clients' deals took shape some time ago and were completed this month, with paperwork being passed back and forth to finalize them.
“To say they're relieved, I think, is a fair statement,” Casey said. “But it's also accurate to say that while we've closed this chapter, there's a whole lot of this that's necessarily inadequate.”
A week ago, another lawyer disclosed the first settlement.
The school has spent nearly $50 million on the Sandusky scandal, not including any payments to the victims and accusers.
Sandusky spent three decades at Penn State under former head coach Joe Paterno.
The response of university leaders, including Paterno, was heavily criticized in a report commissioned by the school last year. Paterno died in January 2012, but criminal charges for an alleged cover-up are pending against three others: former president Graham Spanier, retired vice president Gary Schultz and retired athletic director Tim Curley. All three deny the allegations.
Sandusky, 69, was convicted of 45 counts of child sexual abuse and is serving a decades-long state prison sentence. He maintains he is innocent, and an appeals hearing is scheduled for next month in Dallas, Pa.
Adam Smeltz is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5676 or email@example.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pennsylvania sting scouted private liquor store sites
- Young Pakistani immigrant linked to Pennsylvania woman known as ‘Jihad Jane’ sentenced to prison
- Philadelphia robbers steal $105K from armored truck
- Dog wardens will canvass state for license compliance
- Rep. Murtha’s widow skirts politics for civic pursuits
- Philadelphia museum truck drives home local history
- Three wounded Franklin Regional students in critical condition
- Homicide investigators gather in State College to share ideas
- Stepbrother slams McCord over ‘single mom’ ads