Somerset County to study trail link to Flight 93 site
Somerset County is exploring the possibility of extending a public trail system to the Flight 93 National Memorial.
The county will seek proposals for a feasibility study on the best way to extend the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail north to the Flight 93 National Memorial near Shanksville. The memorial honors the passengers and crew members killed when the plane crashed into a field on Sept. 11, 2001, after they fought back against hijackers.
County officials obtained more than $100,000 in grants and donations for the project. They expect to hire a firm to conduct the study this fall. Keith Newlin, the deputy superintendent for the National Parks of Western Pennsylvania, says he's happy to see the effort.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Impending school construction project funds in Pennsylvania pipeline
- Network planned to distribute Marcellus shale power to East Coast
- Cigarette tax for Philly schools stalls in Capitol
- Pa. road projects safe from feds’ transportation funding delays
- Layoffs possible at 5 state system schools, including Edinboro, Clarion
- Construction of $500M power plant in South Huntingdon stalled
- Wolf: Wealthy should pay more to cut school taxes
- Pennsylvania working to correct upgrade to welfare benefit applications
- Home sellers are able to remain mum about violent crimes committed there
- Armed doctor’s actions in Philly shooting reinvigorates debate on gun-carry