Somerset County to study trail link to Flight 93 site
Somerset County is exploring the possibility of extending a public trail system to the Flight 93 National Memorial.
The county will seek proposals for a feasibility study on the best way to extend the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail north to the Flight 93 National Memorial near Shanksville. The memorial honors the passengers and crew members killed when the plane crashed into a field on Sept. 11, 2001, after they fought back against hijackers.
County officials obtained more than $100,000 in grants and donations for the project. They expect to hire a firm to conduct the study this fall. Keith Newlin, the deputy superintendent for the National Parks of Western Pennsylvania, says he's happy to see the effort.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Manhunt for trooper slaying suspect won’t keep deer hunters from woods in bow season
- Pa. not ready to abandon lethal injections
- AP classes put college-bound students on fast track
- Expect delays on I-70 in vicinity of New Stanton
- Slight shift in search for Pennsylvania trooper ambush suspect
- Amaranth plant venture aims to improve deficient diets
- Enrollment falls again at Pennsylvania’s state-owned universities
- Penn State student driving hotel van dies in crash
- Teen charged in shooting death of man in Lawrence County
- Pennsylvania slapped with another debt downgrade