Somerset County to study trail link to Flight 93 site
Somerset County is exploring the possibility of extending a public trail system to the Flight 93 National Memorial.
The county will seek proposals for a feasibility study on the best way to extend the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail north to the Flight 93 National Memorial near Shanksville. The memorial honors the passengers and crew members killed when the plane crashed into a field on Sept. 11, 2001, after they fought back against hijackers.
County officials obtained more than $100,000 in grants and donations for the project. They expect to hire a firm to conduct the study this fall. Keith Newlin, the deputy superintendent for the National Parks of Western Pennsylvania, says he's happy to see the effort.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Republican legislator estimates selling state liquor system could net $1B
- 1 dead in New Castle house fire deemed suspicious
- Poconos-area man who helped subdue gunman among Carnegie Heroes
- Philadelphia police commissioner urges caution after shootings of officers
- Liquor Control Board, Pennsylvania universities target problem drinking
- Poor sales sink multi-state Monopoly Millionaires’ Club lottery
- Reading deals with ‘ugly’ tree saga
- LCB ruling could mean home-delivered beer in Pa.
- PSU employee kicks cancer, picks up degree