Somerset County to study trail link to Flight 93 site
Somerset County is exploring the possibility of extending a public trail system to the Flight 93 National Memorial.
The county will seek proposals for a feasibility study on the best way to extend the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail north to the Flight 93 National Memorial near Shanksville. The memorial honors the passengers and crew members killed when the plane crashed into a field on Sept. 11, 2001, after they fought back against hijackers.
County officials obtained more than $100,000 in grants and donations for the project. They expect to hire a firm to conduct the study this fall. Keith Newlin, the deputy superintendent for the National Parks of Western Pennsylvania, says he's happy to see the effort.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LCB follows Wolf ’s lead, votes to prohibit all gifts
- Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf to sign order barring drilling of new oil, gas wells in state forests, parks
- Pennsylvania’s teacher pension system scores D plus, National Council on Teacher Quality says
- Fight between cities, nonprofits flares in Pa. Senate
- Officials dissent on whether offices can prohibit, charge to photograph public record documents
- Officials file to end lawsuit against Penn State, NCAA
- DNC brass scoot into Philly to hear city’s pitch
- State senator seeks coverage numbers from 5 insurers