Somerset County to study trail link to Flight 93 site
Somerset County is exploring the possibility of extending a public trail system to the Flight 93 National Memorial.
The county will seek proposals for a feasibility study on the best way to extend the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail north to the Flight 93 National Memorial near Shanksville. The memorial honors the passengers and crew members killed when the plane crashed into a field on Sept. 11, 2001, after they fought back against hijackers.
County officials obtained more than $100,000 in grants and donations for the project. They expect to hire a firm to conduct the study this fall. Keith Newlin, the deputy superintendent for the National Parks of Western Pennsylvania, says he's happy to see the effort.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PSU frat members, victims aid in investigation
- Police: Some pictured on Penn State frat sites come forward
- Authorities investigate racist letter to Pa. state police pick Brown
- PSU president will back tuition freeze if Wolf’s funding plan passes
- Penn State leader panned for anti-war visit
- Heat lamp for cats caused fatal Lawrence County fire
- Denver Botanic Gardens boosts attendance
- VA pledges to ease restrictive rules on use of Veterans Choice Access program
- Landowners leery of Sunbury Pipeline project
- Man, 82, dies in Lawrence County house fire
- ‘Repulsed’ Penn State president to study Greek activities