Teen pleads not guilty in friend's murder
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013, 9:36 p.m.
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — A 17-year-old girl pleaded not guilty on Tuesday in what prosecutors said was the premeditated stabbing death of her onetime best friend in a wooded area along the Pennsylvania border last summer.
Shelia Eddy gave only brief answers to questions from Monongalia Circuit Judge Russell Clawges, then said “not guilty” to one count each of first-degree murder and kidnapping, and two counts of conspiracy.
Clawges tentatively scheduled her trial for the week of Oct. 22, as friends of 16-year-old victim Skylar Neese wept and Neese's father, Dave, glared at the girl he used to consider a second daughter.
“I miss Skylar that much more when I see her,” he said of Eddy after the court appearance. “She's exactly where she belongs, though — if she committed the murder of my daughter, she deserves to be exactly where she is: in jail.”
Prosecutors say Eddy and another friend, Rachel Shoaf, lured Skylar Neese out of her ground-floor bedroom in Star City in July 2012, drove her to a secluded spot near the unincorporated West Virginia community of Macdale, then stabbed her to death at an agreed-upon moment.
Authorities haven't revealed a potential motive but say the girls covered Skylar's body with branches when they couldn't bury her, and it lay there for months.
Under questioning in January, Shoaf told police that she and Eddy had committed the crime, and she directed them to the body. She pleaded guilty to a second-degree murder charge May 1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pennsylvania sting scouted private liquor store sites
- Young Pakistani immigrant linked to Pennsylvania woman known as ‘Jihad Jane’ sentenced to prison
- Dog wardens will canvass state for license compliance
- Philadelphia robbers steal $105K from armored truck
- Beaver County men accused of crimes during PSU drinking holiday
- Pennsylvania victims of sexual assault to get legal remedy
- Turnpike to close between Bedford, Breezewood