TribLIVE

| State

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

State won't pursue $5.1M owed after treasurer refuses to pay

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

By The Associated Press
Thursday, Sept. 19, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
 

HARRISBURG — A company hired by Gov. Tom Corbett's administration to run Pennsylvania's executive branch websites will forgo $5.1 million it believed it was owed after state Treasurer Rob McCord refused to pay it.

A Corbett spokesman, Dan Egan, said on Wednesday that the administration and Kansas-based NIC Inc. agreed that it was in the best interest of their partnership to move on. In a Sept. 6 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, NIC said it had decided not to pursue the collection of the money and to write off the amount due.

The administration hired a subsidiary of NIC under a five-year, no-bid contract late last year to manage the state's website infrastructure and technology. The contract initially was billed as a self-funding contract to be financed by new fees slapped on certain high-volume information requests by businesses.

The subsidiary, Pennsylvania Interactive LLC, began work on the websites before any fee took effect and instead billed the state for the $5.1 million, essentially what it would have raised from the fee in the six months between Jan. 1 and June 30, Egan said.

But McCord cited concerns over the contract's legality and propriety, and said the Corbett administration cut corners on contracting practices, inflated the contract value beyond the original approved amount and used a no-bid process without adequately justifying it.

A spokesman, Gary Tuma, said on Wednesday that billing the state flew in the face of the self-funded contract that the administration had advertised.

Instead, the NIC subsidiary will begin to see revenue on the contract in late October when a $2 surcharge is expected to begin applying to requests for driver records by wholesalers that then sell them to insurance companies that monitor the activities of policyholders. The fee, which would rise from $5 to $7 per record, could trickle down to the cost of automobile insurance.

The state has informed wholesalers of the new fee and given them a 45-day period to align with the new system, Egan said.

The first website to be up and running under the contract will be the state's main site, www.pa.gov, in October, he said.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Pennsylvania

  1. Teen could spend 10 years in prison for role in injuring Ohio teacher
  2. Boy youngest to receive double-hand transplant in Philadelphia
  3. Medical pot has advocate in Pennsylvania House
  4. Probe continues in fatal shooting in Sharon hospital parking lot
  5. Fight for equal access continues 25 years after ADA signed