Teen rapist appeals sex offender designation
COLUMBUS, Ohio — One of the two Ohio high school football players convicted this year of raping a 16-year-old girl will appeal his sex-offender classification.
Ma'Lik Richmond received the state's second-toughest label from Judge Thomas Lipps last month, meaning he has to register as a sex offender every six months for 20 years. It's the same classification Richmond's co-defendant received.
Unlike adult sex offenders, Richmond's name won't be included on publicly accessible websites, and he can request to have the classification removed based on his rehabilitation.
The public defender handling the appeal, Brooke Burns, said on Thursday she couldn't comment without Richmond's permission. The appeal was filed last week in Jefferson County in eastern Ohio.
Richmond and co-defendant Trent Mays were convicted of raping the West Virginia girl last year after an alcohol-fueled party. The case has been furiously debated online and led to allegations of a cover-up to protect the celebrated Steubenville High football team.
Richmond, 17, was sentenced to a year in the juvenile detention system. Mays, also 17, was sentenced to two years for his conviction on charges of rape and using his phone to take a picture of the underage girl naked.
A grand jury in Steubenville continues to investigate whether other laws were broken in the rape case.
A focus of the panel is whether adults required to report child abuse, such as teachers and coaches, knew of the rape allegation but didn't tell authorities.
Attorney General Mike DeWine, whose office is leading the investigation, said recently he can't give a timeline for the grand jury to finish its work.
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments â either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.