Pennsylvania man among soldiers killed in IED attack
CARLISLE — The U.S. Army says a Carlisle man assigned to Fort Benning in Georgia was among a group of four soldiers killed during an attack in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense on Tuesday said 25-year-old Sgt. Patrick C. Hawkins was killed Oct. 6 when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive in the Zhari District of Kandahar Province.
Hawkins was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. Also killed in the attack were 24-year-old Pfc. Cody J. Patterson of Philomath, Ore.; 25-year-old 1st Lt. Jennifer M. Moreno of San Diego, Calif.; and Sgt. Joseph M. Peters, 24, of Springfield, Mo.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Upper St. Clair family’s efforts pay off as governor signs Down syndrome education bill
- More than 500 migrant kids sent to Pennsylvania
- Philly Nazi suspect dies as extradition request OK’d
- 2 Greene County residents charged with killing 3 in W.Va.
- Mother, maternal grandparents charged in abuse of Mercer County boy
- Pennsylvania Attorney General emails called ‘gold mines’ for defendants
- Environmental groups win in open records case against Corbett
- Pennsylvania liquor licenses are considered ‘better than gold’
- Gov. Corbett signs Pennsylvania state budget, vetoes legislative funding
- Stronger laws in play in Mercer County starvation case