Pennsylvania man among soldiers killed in IED attack
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013, 2:23 p.m.
CARLISLE — The U.S. Army says a Carlisle man assigned to Fort Benning in Georgia was among a group of four soldiers killed during an attack in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense on Tuesday said 25-year-old Sgt. Patrick C. Hawkins was killed Oct. 6 when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive in the Zhari District of Kandahar Province.
Hawkins was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. Also killed in the attack were 24-year-old Pfc. Cody J. Patterson of Philomath, Ore.; 25-year-old 1st Lt. Jennifer M. Moreno of San Diego, Calif.; and Sgt. Joseph M. Peters, 24, of Springfield, Mo.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trucker cited for slow speed in fatal crash on I-80
- Philly, state leaders hopeful for pope visit in 2015
- Warren County probation officer allegedly groped, intimidated client
- Man guilty of conspiracy in killing
- GOP says privatizing LCB could aid budget
- Philly leaders to ask pope to visit
- Man killed in hit-and-run in Shenango
- Wide range of wintry weather hits half of U.S.
- Former PSU president Thomas dies at 81
- Retired Pa. Game Commission chief to get $220K severance payment
- Corbett selects hockey executive for PSU board