Pennsylvania man among soldiers killed in IED attack
CARLISLE — The U.S. Army says a Carlisle man assigned to Fort Benning in Georgia was among a group of four soldiers killed during an attack in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense on Tuesday said 25-year-old Sgt. Patrick C. Hawkins was killed Oct. 6 when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive in the Zhari District of Kandahar Province.
Hawkins was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. Also killed in the attack were 24-year-old Pfc. Cody J. Patterson of Philomath, Ore.; 25-year-old 1st Lt. Jennifer M. Moreno of San Diego, Calif.; and Sgt. Joseph M. Peters, 24, of Springfield, Mo.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- DEP awaiting tests for ‘cat urine’ smell in New Castle
- Crawford County man gets prison — and lecture — for tattooing 12-year-old
- Feds accused of bullying state over police test
- Evaporating cap on Pa. gasoline taxes to offset drops at pump
- Conneaut Lake Park to take case to court for tax-exempt status
- Ohio woman shot to death nearly 3 days before police find body in Neshannock home
- Openings on sullied Pennsylvania Supreme Court beckon candidates
- Kane’s office backtracks on prosecution in email scandal
- Pennsylvania legislative leader Costa blasts suggestion of session before Wolf sworn in as governor
- Geologist: Site of idyllic 1833 painting of Lancaster found