Cops: Nurse kills patient, self
CLARKS SUMMIT — A staff nurse apparently shot a 79-year-old resident to death in a Lackawanna County nursing home where she worked and then turned the gun on herself, authorities said.
Aimee Larkin, 42, a licensed practical nurse from Dunmore, apparently brought a semi-automatic handgun to her Monday night shift at Abington Manor, killed Howard Kinney shortly before 5:30 p.m. and shot herself in the head, South Abington Township police Chief Robert Gerrity said.
He said investigators don't know whether the weapon was hers, and the motive of what authorities are calling an apparent murder-suicide is unknown.
“We're actively investigating this, conducting a lot of interviews, but, right now, we're at a loss, actually, as to what the motive was,” he told The Associated Press.
Gerrity said the nurse had worked there since 2011, and Kinney, of Overfield Township, had lived there for about two years. It's unclear whether their relationship went beyond that of caregiver and patient, he said.
“It's a very bizarre incident,” he said.
Jeanne Moore, a spokeswoman for the nursing home just north of Scranton, said in a statement that officials there were shocked.
“We are cooperating fully with law enforcement officials at this time and are hopeful that their efforts will help us to understand this tragedy,” she said.
Abington Manor provides short- and long-term care for elderly residents and people with chronic or prolonged illness, according to owner Genesis HealthCare.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Retired LCB official, expected to plead guilty to kickbacks, stands to lose $52K pension
- Casey, Coons become 32nd, 33rd senators to back nuclear deal with Iran
- Judge OKs gender surgery for 48-year-old called mentally incompetent by parents
- Bishop’s ex-assistant in Venango charged with Lutheran synod thefts
- Ex-LCB official Short to plead guilty to soliciting, concealing kickbacks from vendors
- Potential suspension of Pennsylvania AG’s license unusual
- Conneaut Lake Park wants to sell some land