Tractor trailers, dozens of cars crash on Pa. Turnpike
BENSALEM — Traffic accidents involving multiple tractor trailers and dozens of cars have completely blocked eastbound lanes of the Pennsylvania Turnpike in eastern Pennsylvania and caused some injuries.
The turnpike said the crashes reported just after 8 a.m. Friday were blocking all eastbound lanes between the Bensalem and Willow Grove exits. Drivers were advised to use alternate routes and expect heavy delays in the area.
Television news helicopter footage showed several tractor trailers and dozens of cars in what appeared to be a series of accidents that had backed up traffic for miles.
Turnpike spokesman Bill Capone told WPVI-TV that some injuries had been reported, but all were reported as minor. He said state police and other personnel were trying to attend to anyone wounded and reopening the road would take a while.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sex-soaked culture faulted for fraternity house parties
- Pennsylvania’s DEP chief seeking gas pipeline strategy
- Veteran designation on Pennsylvania driver’s licenses loosely audited
- Pa. trooper wounded in barracks ambush hopes to return to force
- Trooper severely injured when hit by own car
- PennDOT turns to roundabout intersections, citing safety, cost
- Pa. police officer charged with homicide for shooting unarmed man in back
- Mother, grandparents of starved boy sentenced to prison
- Impact of Ohio’s moves to reduce Lake Erie algae years away