Tractor trailers, dozens of cars crash on Pa. Turnpike
BENSALEM — Traffic accidents involving multiple tractor trailers and dozens of cars have completely blocked eastbound lanes of the Pennsylvania Turnpike in eastern Pennsylvania and caused some injuries.
The turnpike said the crashes reported just after 8 a.m. Friday were blocking all eastbound lanes between the Bensalem and Willow Grove exits. Drivers were advised to use alternate routes and expect heavy delays in the area.
Television news helicopter footage showed several tractor trailers and dozens of cars in what appeared to be a series of accidents that had backed up traffic for miles.
Turnpike spokesman Bill Capone told WPVI-TV that some injuries had been reported, but all were reported as minor. He said state police and other personnel were trying to attend to anyone wounded and reopening the road would take a while.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Environmental groups win in open records case against Corbett
- 2 Greene County residents charged with killing 3 in W.Va.
- Mother, maternal grandparents charged in abuse of Mercer County boy
- Stronger laws in play in Mercer County starvation case
- Pennsylvania liquor licenses are considered ‘better than gold’
- Pa. pension costs pull from school districts, college students, turnpike
- Corbett: Pensions a pocketbook issue
- No fast answer to drilling questions, Pa. health chief says
- Atlantic City doomed by glut of casinos in region