Tractor trailers, dozens of cars crash on Pa. Turnpike
BENSALEM — Traffic accidents involving multiple tractor trailers and dozens of cars have completely blocked eastbound lanes of the Pennsylvania Turnpike in eastern Pennsylvania and caused some injuries.
The turnpike said the crashes reported just after 8 a.m. Friday were blocking all eastbound lanes between the Bensalem and Willow Grove exits. Drivers were advised to use alternate routes and expect heavy delays in the area.
Television news helicopter footage showed several tractor trailers and dozens of cars in what appeared to be a series of accidents that had backed up traffic for miles.
Turnpike spokesman Bill Capone told WPVI-TV that some injuries had been reported, but all were reported as minor. He said state police and other personnel were trying to attend to anyone wounded and reopening the road would take a while.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Demand for truck drivers soars in Western Pennsylvania
- The Progress Fund awarded $2M federal grant
- Blair County judge rejects Kenney appeal
- Poll shows Wolf’s lead over Corbett widening
- Newlyweds guilty in Craigslist killing
- State workers paying less than most for health benefits
- Sandusky cover-up case unusually shrouded
- Unusually cold winter, spring reduces population of Western Pa. stink bugs
- Conservative legislator puts credentials on line in bipartisan medicinal marijuana effort
- Pennsylvania investigators get truck to aid in finding child predators